Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MDupre
New Today: 36
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139302

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 0
Total: 63

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How best to support sales team in IT services company?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How best to support sales team in IT services company?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwhittaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: How best to support sales team in IT services company? Reply with quote

i have an interview presentation coming up for a Service Operations Manager position and need to do a speil on how to support and work with the sales team for this IT services company.

i have years itil awareness and background in IT management but lack in direct commercial experience

can anyone lend please a few real world insights in how best the service operations manager can work with the sales team in delivering new revenue into the business?

many thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now why didn't I think of that. Getting advice on a topic I don't have experience and knowledge of to present at interview? After all I've done more than a few interviews in the last couple of years. There was even one interview I cancelled because I could not get deep enough into the presentation. My reasoning:

1. I would not want to be me when my shortcomings were found out.

2. I realized that If I could not cope with the presentation, it was extremely likely that the job was not right for me anyway; they were wanting a profile somewhat different from mine.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
rwhittaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed there is nothing more dodgy and disastrous in an interview than trying to make out you're something that you're not.

in this topic however i could do with some conceptual pointers from someone in the sales field, though since posting i've summised that the best ways to support the sales team is in their ...

product definition, for which a full and up to date service catalogue would support

quality assurance, for which the service metrics would assist

generating new business, for which the customer service reviews would help enable
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't work with sales people. You just can't.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
You can't work with sales people. You just can't.

I did. Once.

I guess that is where I started to go wrong.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are a bit harsh. If you park the job interview element for a moment, it is a really good question to ask.

You can replace "sales people" with "business engagement" or "relationship management".

It is a good thing to contribute to the value proposition of your IT organisation whether internal IT or a MSP.

What you need to do is try to find some differentiators that your competition are awful at or you can be better at.

Thought starters:
Do the right things:
* contribute to business cases, ROI
* help the business make good decisions based on quality data and insightful analysis
* acknowledge and stop things that are not working (you'd be surprised how little that happens)

Do things right:
* optimise processes (take out unnecessary steps, automate a good manual process if it makes sense)
* motivate, challenge, encourage, train, measure, reward YOUR PEOPLE
* behave ethically, treat people (customers, users, colleagues, vendor partners) well, tell the truth, earn and retain trust
* translate your operational achievement into something that is meaningful to the business (99.999 availability means what in business terms?)
* get into the mind of you customer's customer, ie: if you're supporting a business application for an insurance company that processes claims, how can you come up with some ideas that help them provide a better experience for the public that they are service (eg: faster approval, make the business easier to buy from)

my 0.21cents
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: