Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ADevito
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 143826

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 0
Total: 49

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Need advice on starting ITIL career...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice on starting ITIL career...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faiz0802

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Need advice on starting ITIL career... Reply with quote

Hey guys,
My name is Faiz and I'm a Mechanical Engineer by degree, based in Hyderabad, India and have about 2 years of experience in sales and service in a company that deals with construction equipment, so leaving that field and jumping into IT Management may seem a little strange at this point, but it's intentional. I've always been interested in IT, and in management as well, so this seems like a very viable option at this point.

My main intention to start this thread is not to ask whether ITIL is right for me or not, I've already decided to write my foundations exams soon. What I need to know is where I should start once I get my foundations certificate and what I need to do. I stay in India and plan to stay here for a year or 2 and gain experience in an ITIL environment. The problem is that ITIL implementation is not very prominent here at this point of time and there aren't a lot of jobs for a fresher with only ITIL Foundations as certification. Either that or I don't know which companies are looking for people with ITIL certifications. What should I do once I'm done with my Foundations exam?

Should I:
1)Look for a job and start working, and work my way to the MALC exam through company sponsorship. Getting to the MALC exam through the company will take many many years I'm sure and that might be way too long for me. If so, any advice on where to start for jobs would be very helpful. It seems very frightening and unlikely to me that a foundations certificate alone can get me a job, though I may be very wrong in this regard.

2)Work my way up until my MALC exam and finish the entire ITIL V3 curriculum. And then look for jobs.

I have absolutely no IT certifications whatsoever, and I intend to stay in IT Management alone and do not intend to venture into software or hardware, because I already have experience in service management, although in a different field.

I have no problems relocating to any other place in the world, though I am of the conception that getting some experience in my home country first would help. Am not sure how true I am in this regard. Please advice.

Also, are foundation certifications in ISO 20000/ Six Sigma helpful and/or necessary?

Please advice. I'm really paranoid about all this, and any advice or guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITIL is a tool or process in IT

While you can get training in the fundamental concepts of ITIL, you can get a job in IT without having ITIL

If you are a mechnical engineer, IT knowledge helps you do your job as a mechanical engineer

ITIL certification however is also being mis-sold and mis-represented.

Having the certification does not guarentee you a role - no matter what the marketing department of the training company says

ITIL Foundation certification and 0 years of experience in IT means exactly the same thing

Having 0 experience doing IT Support means you are at the bottom of the list for any roles out there.

What will happen is that if a company is trying to get a contract role, they will hired 200 people who have taken the ITIL foundation course so that they can say that have an ITIL Certified staff - thereby meeting some requirement to bid on the contract.

I have been in IT since 1983. I received my foundation certification in 2001. I worked in a Service Desk environment before I got certification (5 years) and I worked in a Service Desk environment after I got the foundation. My role and my wage did not change. However, after the entire staff and management learned about ITIL and applied the concepts and re-applied the concepts and re-applied the concepts, several of the team got a better understanding of what ITIL is all about. As one of them, I started to specialize in Change, Configuration and Release Manager as I preferred that. I took the advanced courses in ITIL - CCR Practitioner and finally the Service manager (Red Badge) certificate.

Now, with almost 30 years of IT experience with 9 years of implementing and using the ITIL Best Practice concepts, I can consider myself not only well paid for my knowledge and experience in both IT and ITIL.

This took several years

If you are thinking of leaving mechanical engineering and heading into IT, let alone into the discipline of advocating or applying or implementing ITIL best practice, please be advised that you will have very little credibility making any statements on how ITIL should be implemente as you never have implemented

The roles that you will most likely get are Call Centre roles where you help users via the telephone or via ticket systems. Until you have several years of experience in IT, how can you be in IT Management or provide guidance to ITIL - let along Six Sigma, ISO20000, ISO27001 and other standard or processes

I do not know what you do in a M.E. role but you have just spent a number of years in school for this... should nt you at least give it a chance to work for you

ITIL certification could also be useful in a ME role - especially if you have to deal with the IT types like change managers, release managers, service desks etc

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What John said. ITIL can complement or maybe in a way determine where in IT you will fit, but by itself it won't give you much of a leg up.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends a bit on what you sales/service experience is in your current industry. You might find that Project Mgt is more directly transferable from construction to IT. If you've done people management in construction, then that is transferable.

In Australia, plenty of people have forged good careers in IT coming across from the military because of good ProjMgt and PeopleMgt skills - with very little technical knowledge.

PS: congrats on the world cup victory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: