Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TMcKellar
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146219

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 0
Total: 52

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Recuring changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recuring changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
varigonda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Recuring changes Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Need your guidence as how can use change management to sort out some of the recurring database changes happening every month. The expectation from me is to write a change process for the recurring database changes happening every month?.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varigonda

What guidance do you want from us ?
Why are you being asked to do this ?
Have you had any ITIL training or certification course work ?
If so,, beyond foundation ?
Are you the Change Manager ?
Is there a Change Mgmt policy in place ?
Is there a CM process in place ?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
varigonda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am being asked to do as i am a change manager i did my ITILV3 foundation. no we dont have a process. Its a new project as we are getting the scenarios like the one i mentioned for recurring changes. Also am new to this field so want guidence as for any changes like this can be made as standard changes ?. or we have a any other type of process? let me know which points i have to ask to make the recurring db changes happening in to a process ?

appreciate your help.

thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by recurring database changes?

Are these changes to the structure, the size, the data? Are they maintenance or growth or enhancement changes?

Who is responsible for (or "owns") the things that are changing?

What are the impacts of the changes? What are the impacts of performing the changes? What are the consequences of not performing the changes?

Who schedules the changes?

Who performs the changes? what training, instruction and skills are required in order to do this?

Who authorizes the changes?

Who verifies the changes?

What actions are required to apply the changes?

What do you do if the change fails?

Don't forget about audit and review.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varigonda

My suggestions are as follows. These are not a binary solution but serious suggestions

1 - go to the idiot who made you a change manager and say // look I have no experience at Change Management .... are you sure I am right for this role

2 - Look through the various posts in this thread and do the following

3 - write a CM Policy that covers how changes are dealt with, use the information in the ITIL V3 books to help guide you

Finally .. Is what you are working on a PROJECT or a Production environment ?

If this is a production environment, you need to have a serious talk with your management that having some with NO Change Management experience is almost like hiring a ten your kid to build your house

NOTE: ITIL Foundation merely provides you with the ability to spell ITIL without any prompts and helps you identify the various areas

You need to read the books again. Advise that you get the V2 books as well as the V3 books and read them over and over again until you understand

I do not know your employment history or how long you have been in IT. I can tell you that if you dont have the right level of experience, change management process is going to fail a couple of times before it succeeds. The issue will be whether the failures are minor or major. Minor means outages measured in hours. Major means measured in Days

While this site is available for discussion about ITIL and its various parts, this is NOT a support group or training centre to get you a leg up on ITIL.

We can provide what advice we think you need. But you have to do the work

I do not envy you at all

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Bradford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out SunView Software's ChangeGear Change Management solution. It has a great ITIL workflow built right out of the box, easy to use automations that drive the product and email integration. You can also build templates for commonly used change requests which saves you a ton of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: