Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LShirk
New Today: 20
New Yesterday: 86
Overall: 139285

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 0
Total: 51

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - RFC Content & Approach (Mature CM Processes)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFC Content & Approach (Mature CM Processes)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: RFC Content & Approach (Mature CM Processes) Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wanted to get some objective views on how other CMs/SMEs govern and manage RFCs, and what the stance, approach, policy or process is when dealing with RFCs which do NOT conform to those set standards.

For Example - I implemented a formal document which details what information MUST be stipulated within a given RFC (Full Normal, not Standard).

Once the Change Management Team receive RFCs at Classification via a dedicated workflow tool (NOT PAPER BASED) they will fully assess the change, ensure fit for purpose, contains the correct level of information, include relevant sign-offs etc, etc.

The Problem i have is that some people firmly believe that unless the RFC is perfect at classification, or 1st base then its rejected, which i disagre with. More commonly these are passed back to the change raiser to address the shortfalls.

I personally am a firm believer in a phased approach (Full Normal, exc Emergency RFCs) which ensures that RFCs are raised at the earliest opportunity and key information is added over time by the Suppliers, or Technical authorities, especially given the fact that alot of CRs are non-technical.

Be good to get some views and suggestions on how others are doing it.
Regards
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to your first issue

The Problem i have is that some people firmly believe that unless the RFC is perfect at classification, or 1st base then its rejected, which i disagre with. More commonly these are passed back to the change raiser to address the shortfalls.

My answer is - what does your process / policy document say about this

if it does not say anything .. then that is the reason for the different deicision trees

It there fore it needs the defintion,

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
JAL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the swift response:

"My answer is - what does your process / policy document say about this

if it does not say anything .. then that is the reason for the different deicision trees

It there fore it needs the defintion,"

The policy states that currently that should the change not be fit for purpose then it requires re-work or rejection.

The intention of the statement was to understand how other organisations deal with this type of scenario, especially as policy documents are sometimes to rigid etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: