Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KTakasuka
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 52
Overall: 146211

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 2
Total: 53 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Is the Service Desk a Service?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Service Desk a Service?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jambo99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Is the Service Desk a Service? Reply with quote

my company is currently implemeting Service Ownership and we are debating if the Service Desk should be treated as a service or a function that delivers services e.g. Incident management?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jambo

I gather from your question that no one in your company has ever taking sat a class in ITIL let alone Foundation.

Beyond that I am not going to comment on your post

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is very clearly yes and no. It depends on the context in which you are using the term.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Jambo99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="UKVIKING"]Jambo

I gather from your reply that you have never heard of good manners or the phrase " If you cannot say anything helpfull say nothing"

again correct me if I am wrong but there are no stupid questions only idiots who take pleasure in pointing them out.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jambo

I have heard of good manners. I have also heard of stupid questions and I have seen some - this one included. My response was actually appropriate for the question given.

I just dont use them here. I have been told by other Long time posters, they get confused when I am all nice and warm and fuzzy.

Besides, I prefer to be sarcastic tart etc and of course tactless

If you or some one in your company has read any ITIL documentation - ie V2 or even v3

The following usually stands out

V2 -- there are 10 processes - grouped in Service Delivery and Service Support and 1 function - the function being the Service Desk

A Service is usually defined as something that is delivered to be used by the customer. E-Mail is a service, Printing is a service, an application is a service

The Service desk is NOT really delivered to the customer per se. Unles you park a SD technican next to every individual in the company

The SD is the functional body that deals with Incident Management

Of course, as Diarmid stated, it also depends on how you define the word service and function. So if you use the ITIL oriented definitions, the SD is a function.

Jambo99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="UKVIKING"]Jambo

Thank you for the response, now that i know you are tactless by nature then I can understand and accept Laughing

To be fair, perhaps I posed the question in a stupid manner, what I was trying to ask was, we have assigned a number of Service Owners for example Desktop, Application Hosting and Telecommunications and the discussion was around should we appoint one for the Service Desk and the debate is around the fact that it is a function in ITIL (see we did know) and wanted to canvas opion.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jambo

Being fair, sarcastic tactless and all that

If you had asked the question as you have posted instead of the stupid version - you got to admit it is a stupidly phrased question.

It is like asking at a foot ball game - the guys in the black & white striped shirts are called referees arent they ?

You will get some many looks

The Service owner of the Service desk should be the SD Manager / Incident Manager - who may nto be the same person. The immediate owner would be the SD Manager

DaveInSeoul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me doesn't like John's sarcastic post, and part of me say's that John is right. Your company does need a whole lot more training in IT service management (not to mention the ITIL training needs).

That being said - traditionally, most Service Desks that I have worked with are really help desks thinly disguised as Service Desks. The ITIL-ise of the Service Desk is that it is a function that handles many of the ITIL processes such as Incident, Problem, Change, Configuration, Event, Access Management, and so on and so on. This is the ideal, and when you can move the Service Desk in that direction, it really helps the entire organization run much more smoothly.

However, it has been my experience, that most senior IT managers (except the few who are really enlightened - and I haven't meet too many) do NOT want to pay the types of salaries needed to retain qualified Service Desk personnel. So what ends up happening is you get service desk people who do not do a whole lot beyond answering the phones.

If you don't keep salaries up with proper skill sets needed to perform Tier 1 and Tier 2 troubleshooting, then your service desk folks end up being people who can answer the phone, follow scripts, and escalate problems to technical shops as soon as they can. It works, but it isn't very efficient, and this type of model always ends up with poor customer perception of your service desk.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

while the service desk has links to most ITIL processes, it really cannot be said to "handle" them. It's essential role is as a conduit for communication between users and IT service support. Providing it with first line resolution capabilities is obvious and it is not unusual for the Service Desk Manager to also be the Incident Manager. This is because it serves a vital role in incident resolution. The part it plays in other ITIL processes is much less core to them and probably more variable in practice.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been asleep when I posted here.

If Jambo99 is still around, may I ask him/her:
a) are you from Edinburgh?
b) is maroon (maroane, in Edinburgh) your favourite colour?
c) have you heard of Roald Jensen or Tommy Walker OBE?

Or does Jambo have some other connotation?
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: