Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: C27S
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 139689

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 2
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - New to ITIL and need some advice.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to ITIL and need some advice.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TYPHOON38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: New to ITIL and need some advice..... Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

moderators, please move this post if it is not in the correct forum. I am very new to ITIL but have to come up with a 10 minute presentation on how I would implement ITIL into an ICT helpdesk as part of an interview for a new position . Obviously I am reading up as much as I can and trying to at least understand ITIL and it's main functions / principles, but if anyone could point me in the direction of further information that might help me, I would be very grateful !

Thanks and regards,

Dave Embarassed
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't help because it may be the same job I've applied for.

But here goes.

You cannot implement ITIL into anything because it is only guidance.

And even if we allow the gross lack of understanding implicit in the question and assume it has some meaning, you cannot "implement" ITIL into a help desk because it is much much broader than that. And on that front it is a good thing they did not specify v3 because its strategic components are way above any help desk management system.

Thirdly, if they already have a help desk ("into an ICT helpdesk"), you wouldn't be implementing anything anyway, but rather you would be introducing improvements in the way it is managed and, perhaps, to what it does.

I would suggest your best source of good advise on ITIL is this forum and, in your case right now, especially the section entitled The ITIL Service Desk. You could also sign up for some ITIL groups on LinkedIn.

I'm saying nothing more until I'm sure you are not applying for the same post as me.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TYPHOON38

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid,

thanks for the reply and advice. Unless the post you are applying for is in Wales, it isn't the same as mine..does that help ?

To be honest, even with a very limited knowledge of ITIL, the title for the requested presentation did seem a bit confusing and strange.

Rather than muddle through and cobble something together I think I will get back in touch with the prospective employers and ask them to clarify.

Thanks for the advice though,

Dave
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are at war. Twisted Evil

I withdraw all advise. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I should have known it was a mistake to post after a hard day's work on the census with my brain fried by the unseasonal summer heat.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TYPHOON38

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops ! Sorry you feel that way.....I wouldn't be too concerned, you obviously have in depth knowledge of and I would imagine a formal qualification in ITIL where as my question on this forum gives away how little knowledge I have. Fill your boots, I am just going through with it for the experience, anything more is a bonus. Enjoy. Rolling Eyes
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

don't take me so seriously please. I only ever use smilies for humour.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: