Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FrancisGype
New Today: 27
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 146186

People Online:
Visitors: 58
Members: 2
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - RFC must reference the associated CIs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFC must reference the associated CIs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flasheart

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: RFC must reference the associated CIs? Reply with quote

During our Configuration Management requirements workshop, one of the requirements weíve gathered (which is more in Change Managementís area) is that ďAll RFCs must reference the associated CIsĒ

The thought behind this is anything having an RFC should have already gone thru Asset Management or Release and be approved for use on the network. If its approved for use, then itís a controlled item and should be in the CMS, at least for our implementation.

I have 2 questions. First, despite some effort I am having difficulty to tracing this requirement to an ITIL good practice... although I swear Iíve read and have previously implemented something to this effect before. Can anyone tell me if Iíve lost my mind or what ITIL volume / section covers this?

2nd question, can anyone think of exceptions to this policy requirement?

Not trying to have others do my requirements traceability for me, but today feels an awful lot like a Monday.

Edit: After a bit more thought I can answer passwords resets (at least for our CMS implementation). I know w/o knowing the full scope of our CMDB that question 2 can be a bit vague.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some change in the development of a change request it becomes important to identify the CIs that will be affected. However, if you require this information in the initial request for change then you are giving people who do not have an easy way of establishing this information a hard time. For example customer staff would not really have much clue about your CIs (nor should they).

For this reason it would be wrong of ITIL to declare it good practice and thus it does not do so. It makes no assumptions about the detailed nature of the RFC (nor of anything else) since it does not know how they will be used in different contexts.

My own opinion is that a request for change should be couched in terms familiar to the person making the request, clear and explicit, but not necessarily containing technical detail. In this way your system will always be recording the genuine original source of the request and this is very useful when considering such factors as authority and sign off.

Do password resets change a configuration item? Are they changes to the service or its infrastructure, or are they simply changes to a data item within a system?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Flasheart

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the text while re-reading "Implementing ITIL Change and Release Management" by Larry Klosterboer, under the section Documenting the Request for Change it states:

"The best practices contained in ITIL indicate that each change should reference one or more configuration items. These are entries from your configuration management database (CMDB), and each change should record exactly how the configuration of your environment will be modified by the change being proposed."

So, I didnít lose my mind, I did read this somewhere.

Ultimately I understand itís up to what the organization needs are, balancing process, efficiency, and risk.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That quotation is wholly consistent with what I said. It does not say "change request", it says "change".
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Flasheart

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...taken from the section Documenting the Request for Change...

At anyrate my brain is hurting and I think I have what I need.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: