Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: YDEMarlene
New Today: 39
New Yesterday: 63
Overall: 149713

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 3
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Expedited Change Control
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expedited Change Control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Expedited Change Control Reply with quote

Hi

I have been asked the question about Expedited change controls.

Can we have expedited changes ?

Is the definition of a expedited change control - something that needs to be implemented quickly for business reasons prior to the normal CAB and should it be treated as an emergency change.

Im not really sure how to define one , help is appricated

Mon
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expedited is just a word. It is not a technical term. If you want to make it a technical term then you have to define it precisely as to context and scope.

Emergency is just a word and so is urgent. They are used in ITIL literature with more specific meaning but still not in a way that can be a technical term.

As far as I can see you could use any one of these to label a process through which a change can be applied in a shorter time than can be achieved by your "normal" Change Management process.

Equally you could have a section in your "normal" change management process which starts something like this:

"In circumstances where the there will be considerable cost (or loss of benefit) due to the time required to follow this procedure, the steps may be accelerated, subject to authority for the additional risks involved in such action..."

and then detail what kind of shortcuts are permissible under what authority.

And set up a strong review mechanism for such events to ensure it is not abused.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Mon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I now understand what i need to try and do

Mon
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about a classification used by one of the Service Management tool providers, you would be talking about changes where lead times haven't been met. You need to remember, and remind people that changes which are poorly planned have a significantly higher fail rate, and if you are measuring change success, this matters a lot.
Hope this helps
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Approver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same note, is it advisable to use this "expedited" change type for changes that require slight modification to something that has just recently been released?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that my original response covers this question.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
ReleaseLeeds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you may want to read my reply to a latter thread regarding this in

http://www.itilcommunity.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5493

I use the concept of a fast track release - business not service critical changes, by having a separate category it makes them easier to identify and measure which is useful for managing risk and recording as part of a KPI.
aballester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my organization I was asked to own global change management where we had 4 different practices for "normal" vs "emergency" requests. In one of the practices, the "Emergency" workflow was very much abused to the point that hundreds of requests were circumventing the standard process. In order to get a better handle, a consolidation effort was required in order to streamline the process. We now have ONE established process/policy that includes a very stringent and executive sponsored emergency change process and since inception we have seen a 75% reduction in "emergency" requests. Ultimately the bottom line is that you will need to define the process that best works for your organization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: