Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HKza
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142229

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 2
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - New Support Model
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Support Model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timresh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: New Support Model Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've recently been tasked with defining a support model for a suite of applications that are aligned to a specific Business Unit within my organisation.

It seems like an end to end requirement - rules of engagement between levels of support, integration with exisiting ITIL processes, rules of engagement with external vendors, general definition of roles and responsibilities..

I'm still in the data gathering stage at the moment, which fundamentally involves 1-2-1 conversations with Subject Matter Experts for the area, though I still haven't properly decided on how to tackle this.

I'm unsure if I should just approcah this from a service-catalogue angle, using it as a foundation to map the support relationships for all the technology in support and catergorise their importance.....or maybe i'm missing a better way? Any suggestions?

I'm contemplating managing this deliverable formally as a project, to ensure it has structure. Do you think this is a good idea, given the nature of what I'm trying to deliver (not actually a product, but a process?)

Looking forward to some interesting discussion on this Smile
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my questions

have you ever done this before
What experience with ITIL do you have - beyond course work or [assign exams
Do you understand the difference between free advice and consulting

What exactly do you want from the forum

The usual answers are

IT Depends
RTFM
ITIL is guidelines not restrictive

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
timresh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'm V2 Practicioner in Incident/Serv Desk, and in Problem Management. I'm also V2 Manager qualified.

I've worked as a Major Incident and Problem manager for many years, and more recently have worked as a ITSM.

I'm not looking for ITIL specific answers, I just guessed this was the most generic of the forum sections, and people with a grounding in ITIL normally understand how to do things like this.

I've done bits and pieces - built a service catalogue, worked with trying to improve production handover processes, but never had to work something through end to end.

What was I looking for the forum? Well any advice from someone with experience doing this kind of thing. Non-time consuming free advice, and most certainly not consultancy!!!

If I've come to the wrong place, I apologise.

Regards.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timresh,

You did come to the right place.

The problem is you have very broad questions that you want either a) answers or b) advice

The additional problem is context and the assumption from us posters as to your level of knowledge re ITIL BP.

There are a lot of people who come here expecting answers to questions that are straight out of the book or can be answered from experience w/out using ITIL as either a guide or road map

So if someone w/ little experience asks rather larger process / procedural questions like you have, some of us - me included - wonder about their knowledge and look at their questions as fishing for free consulting

Now that 'we' know that you have BTDT, the answers will be more advice

My advice.

Do it as a project is a given.
Find out the services being provided
Work on the core ones first - incident, config, release (change will come .... haha), then problem and the rest will follow

use your knowledge and experience to do the project planning for gett ing the info about the services and how they expect to receive the service and how they expect the service to be supported as well as how the people supporting the service can support the service

I have always noticed that there is usually a chasm (not gap) there

Please stay. check out the various forums and read soeme of the more tactful and nice responses.

NOTE: None of those will be mine.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
timresh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks John, your advice is much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: