Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JSellars
New Today: 62
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 144697

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 3
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Who Raise's the RFC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Raise's the RFC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Who Raise's the RFC Reply with quote

Can anyone please advise

Support (2nd Line) identify a problem, support advise development (3rd Line)
what they think the problem is

Development agree with support and a change needs to be done to resolve the problem

Who raise's the RFC Support or Development ?

Support are not doing the change or the business impact , this will be done by Development

I believe the RFC should be raised by the Development team, however, im being challenged as Development believe it should be raised by Support

Thanks
Mon
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I'm not sure how you can call development third line. I usually think of these lines as being lines of support.

Secondly, I'm not sure how (in a theoretical sense) development can raise a change, since development's role is to develop things that are requested.

Putting one and two together, and adding your bit about development being primary in the business impact analysis (presumably along with the business), I think that you would have a clearer discussion if the roles were better defined and labelled. If development are really a support level as well as developers, then the two roles must be understood clearly. Think of the case where all development work is outsourced. They third party would certainly not be requesting changes (I hope!).

Who requests a change? Well surely it is the person who will benefit from the change. so, if an application is giving operational problems, then Operations will request the change. If the application is not meeting a business need then the business will request the change. If the application is performing poorly, then the performance manager will request the change. These are not rules, but suggestions of a logical approach, in which the person who feels the need for the change requests it.

In the case you outline, you almost imply that second line support identified the need for a change and asked development to do it if they agreed. Why should second line not raise the request formally? They have certainly taken the view that there is a case for it and demonstrated that they understand the issue and they have an interest in it being done, since it will relieve the support role by reducing the probability of incidents.

I'm not sure if there is complete consistency in the above paragraphs, but hopefully they will help you to think about the question.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718

Last edited by Diarmid on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you i have a more understanding now and agree with support should raise the RFC if they identify a fault.

The development team are 3rd line support as well and we also have business development who provide 3rd line support on business processes if these for some reason break or cause issues

If, however, support get a call which they cannot resolve, it is passed to development , they identify where the problem is and a change needs to happen would the development person raise the RFC

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: