Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ASisco
New Today: 8
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 146221

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 0
Total: 52

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Configuration Management in Peregrine ServiceCentre
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuration Management in Peregrine ServiceCentre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
archangelsupreme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Configuration Management in Peregrine ServiceCentre Reply with quote

Hi,

Is anyone currently using Peregrine ServiceCentre to carry out the Configuration Management process of ITIL.

My question is if you know of any drawing tools or software that is compatable with Peregrine ServiceCentre. We want to implement a button where the upstream and downstream relationships are shown diagramatically.

Any assistance will be grately appreciated.
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have Implemented configuration management within Peregrine Service Center 5.1

We have developped usng connect-it an interface between an inventory tool and Peregrine Service Center, in this case Peregrine was running with SQL Server not with P4 it was quite crazy to map all the information that came form AIDA into device table of Peregrine.

Peregrine has the possibility of defining relationships between assets, to show this relationships diagramatically my suggestion is to use Peregrine report module, as you know you can use Crystal Reports or any other reporting tool and call the data stored in Peregrine Service Center through an ODBC connexion, the only thing you may need is the proper driver.

Although I am not working with Peregrine rigth I am certified in Peregrine Service Center 5.1, write to me if you have any questions about this ideas, my email is javierrmadrid@hotmail.com

Hope it helps
Javier
ITIL Consultant
Madrid-Spain
archangelsupreme

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javierarcal wrote:
Hi I have Implemented configuration management within Peregrine Service Center 5.1

We have developped usng connect-it an interface between an inventory tool and Peregrine Service Center, in this case Peregrine was running with SQL Server not with P4 it was quite crazy to map all the information that came form AIDA into device table of Peregrine.

Peregrine has the possibility of defining relationships between assets, to show this relationships diagramatically my suggestion is to use Peregrine report module, as you know you can use Crystal Reports or any other reporting tool and call the data stored in Peregrine Service Center through an ODBC connexion, the only thing you may need is the proper driver.

Although I am not working with Peregrine rigth I am certified in Peregrine Service Center 5.1, write to me if you have any questions about this ideas, my email is javierrmadrid@hotmail.com

Hope it helps
Javier
ITIL Consultant
Madrid-Spain

Hi Javier, thankyou for getting back to me.

We are also running Peregrine Service Center 5.1 but it's currently on P4.

Can you please explain in more detail the suggestion you made about using the reporting tool. I'm not really sure what you mean. Is there a software you can recommend which can actually do the drawing?

Thanks
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Peregrine Report tool Reply with quote

Hi,

There is no problem in use P4 or ORACLE or MS-SQL Server, as you know Peregrine report tool call some "rpt" files that you previously shoul have define using Crystal Reports and store in reports directory.

I really do not know if Crystal Report can draw that sort of diagrams you need.

You know that when you install Peregrine default installation implie installing the ODBC connector, My idea if is in Crystal Report is not possible to draw that diagrams then use another tool for example MS Visio, and obtained the data from an external source using Peregrine ODBC connector, as I have said to at the beggining of this email it never mind if you are using P4 or an external RDMS, you only need to know the name of the fields where are stored the unique ID for the parent and child device.

I am not working with Peregrine rigth know but I have dealt a lot with this reporting tool last year if you need some help write to me to javierrmadrid@hotmail.com

Hop it helps
Good Luck!!

Javier
---
PhD Engineer, ITIL Consultant
Madrid-Spain
archangelsupreme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Peregrine Report tool Reply with quote

javierarcal wrote:
Hi,

There is no problem in use P4 or ORACLE or MS-SQL Server, as you know Peregrine report tool call some "rpt" files that you previously shoul have define using Crystal Reports and store in reports directory.

I really do not know if Crystal Report can draw that sort of diagrams you need.

You know that when you install Peregrine default installation implie installing the ODBC connector, My idea if is in Crystal Report is not possible to draw that diagrams then use another tool for example MS Visio, and obtained the data from an external source using Peregrine ODBC connector, as I have said to at the beggining of this email it never mind if you are using P4 or an external RDMS, you only need to know the name of the fields where are stored the unique ID for the parent and child device.

I am not working with Peregrine rigth know but I have dealt a lot with this reporting tool last year if you need some help write to me to javierrmadrid@hotmail.com

Hop it helps
Good Luck!!

Javier
---
PhD Engineer, ITIL Consultant
Madrid-Spain

I'm relatively new to Peregrine and not really knowlegeable with the technical specs behind it such as database connections.

I'm really interested in knowing how to connect it to Visio, since it's a drawing tool which we already have on our computer systems. How can Visio automatically draw the relationships for each Config Item when each config item is obviously different. Do you need to create some kind of template in Visio...etc?

One thing,

It's suggested by someone that we could use AutoCAD to do this. Do you know how we can use this?

Thanks.
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: You can connect with any tool that calls data from an ODBC Reply with quote

Hi,

I have used AutoCAD but it was a long time ago, when I was at the university… if new releases of AutoCAD call data from an ODBC connexion then you can use of course.

To see ODBC connexions installed in your computer you need to go to control panel->administrative tools->ODBC if you do that in the Server where you have installed Peregrine Service Center then you will see all the connexions that have installed.

May be it could be a better idea to installed in you computer Peregrine Service Center server and client. You should do a customized installation, pay attention to which databases connections you are installing.

When you have complete you installation, start Peregrine Service Center server in your client and check all the processes are running (you have green light signal)

The go to your control panel-administrative tools and lets see which ODBC connexions has been installed.

From Visio or AutoCAD you can call external data and draw our diagrams, perform a simple test and lets see how it works

And finally what you need is to "discover" inside device table which fields stored the unique ID for parent and child device.

Write an email to me (javierrmadrid@hotmail.com or javier.arcal@gmail.com) and I will check if I can find some description about device table and mail to you.

Anyway I remember there was a specific Forum for Peregrine, I cannot remember right now the address but in that Forum you can find people that has a deeper knowledge in Peregrine that here.

Hope it helps

Javier
archangelsupreme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: You can connect with any tool that calls data from an OD Reply with quote

javierarcal wrote:
Hi,

I have used AutoCAD but it was a long time ago, when I was at the university… if new releases of AutoCAD call data from an ODBC connexion then you can use of course.

To see ODBC connexions installed in your computer you need to go to control panel->administrative tools->ODBC if you do that in the Server where you have installed Peregrine Service Center then you will see all the connexions that have installed.

May be it could be a better idea to installed in you computer Peregrine Service Center server and client. You should do a customized installation, pay attention to which databases connections you are installing.

When you have complete you installation, start Peregrine Service Center server in your client and check all the processes are running (you have green light signal)

The go to your control panel-administrative tools and lets see which ODBC connexions has been installed.

From Visio or AutoCAD you can call external data and draw our diagrams, perform a simple test and lets see how it works

And finally what you need is to "discover" inside device table which fields stored the unique ID for parent and child device.

Write an email to me (javierrmadrid@hotmail.com or javier.arcal@gmail.com) and I will check if I can find some description about device table and mail to you.

Anyway I remember there was a specific Forum for Peregrine, I cannot remember right now the address but in that Forum you can find people that has a deeper knowledge in Peregrine that here.

Hope it helps

Javier

Do we need to create some sort of template in AutoCAD or Visio to draw up the structure that we want.

Can you recommend another method of showing Config Item relationships without connecting to some sort of drawing tool or database.

Thanks.
Bknipfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Peregrine Reporting Reply with quote

What was the outcome of your efforts to drawing CI relationships and then send them into Peregrine? Are you running a CMDB in Peregrine? Brent Knipfer, bknipfer@getbetter.biz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Peregrine Reporting Reply with quote

Bknipfer wrote:
What was the outcome of your efforts to drawing CI relationships and then send them into Peregrine? Are you running a CMDB in Peregrine? Brent Knipfer, bknipfer@getbetter.biz

Hi,

I'm sorry, is this a question for me or javierarcal?

We are currently running a CMDB in Peregrine but still lost as to how we can get a diagramatic representation of the relationships.

Someone recommended to me RealCAD, does anyone have any experience with this software and how it mgiht help.

Thanks.
javierarcal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: About Peregrine CIs relationships Reply with quote

Hi

I am sorry I do ot have experience using RealCAd, but I have work with Peregrine, what you can do from Peregrine is called Peregrin Data from a reporting tool, but you need to have the proper ODBC for that tool.

I remember I have defined reports using Cystal Reports, but for sure you can call from RealCad data from Peregrine tables and show relationships between CIs.

Rgds
Javier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: