Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: dmgyhola71
New Today: 40
New Yesterday: 165
Overall: 131450

People Online:
Visitors: 71
Members: 2
Total: 73 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - difference between incident and problem.. also how can we de
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

difference between incident and problem.. also how can we de

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: difference between incident and problem.. also how can we de Reply with quote

Hello All,

i am very new to this forum and also new to ITIL also...
last week when i gave an interview to one MNC company, he asked me too many questions abt itil.

can any one help on few questions please..? i am working on SUN SOLARIS pplatform.. need examples related to that platform only!!

what is the difference b/w incident and problem? ( with some real time examples)

how can we convert incident to problem? ( with some rela examples)

WHy we need SLA?

please answer above questions ASAP.. and save me go get in the iinterviews... pls.

--thanks in adv!
Muddu
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddu,

you're not going to do well applying for jobs requiring experience you do not have.

First indicator: service management is platform independent (all IT platforms require service management) and therefore there are no Sun- specific answers.

Second indicator: there is a thread on the very subject of problem and incident and the amazing lack of comprehension some people have a little way below the listing for this thread. Would it not be wise to look at that and perhaps even find the (at least) three other threads in the various sub-forums that have discussed this topic in some depth.

If you fake it through the interview then you will be found out when you cannot grasp the role. A better approach would be to get a hold of the ITIL books and even do the foundation course, or if you do not have the resources for that, look for jobs where the employer is willing to provide the necessary training.

The difference between an incident and a problem and the impossibility of ever converting an incident into a problem are so fundamental that the explanation does not need examples any more than planes and trains (one goes in the air and the other on rails).

One is an event and the other is a set of circumstances.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
muddu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: difference between incident and problem Reply with quote

Thanks alot Diarmid.... but my case is something different.. i am actually a technical person and i have 4.5 yrs exp only... not sure how he(interviewer) was expecting this much stuff from me!!

Also as per some personal prbs i have ... job change is compulsory...
its not that i don't want to go for some training's.. i have some basic idea..! i have searched many websites for this.. but still some confusion b/w incident and problem... so, if u can give me some real time examples .. that would be more helpful.

Thanks in advance..

-muddu
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddu,

I was pretty sure you were a technical person and that you had worked in organization(s) that did not openly and formally manage their services in a way that involved all the staff.

You will learn a lot by reading threads in these sub-fora.

I'll try briefly, but bear in mind that I do not toe the line; these are my opinions and some would say they are not strictly ITIL (I would say that there is no such thing as strictly ITIL).

An incident:
e.g. one or more users suddenly cannot connet to the personnel system. Perhaps resolved quickly by reloading the system (or rebooting the server, but that is extreme). Case closed.

A problem:
no one knows why the users lost the connection to the pers sys; it could happen again. Investigate to discover the reason (underlying cause that some refer to as "root cause"); work out how to fix the reason so that it does not exist; implement the fix; check it is now okay. Case closed

Another problem:
e.g. someone monitoring the services notices that every day for the last week, say, it has got a bit slower, but is still functioning within requirements. Investigatee reason etc. as before until case closed. No incident took place but a problem has been resolved.

Why do we need SLAs?

Well, SLAs are a large part of the definition of the service that is being provided to the customer; they define the levels of the service - things like average [peak hour] response time, percentage availability during service hours, recovery times whatever.

If you have not agreed what the service consists of with your customer, how do you know you are providing what the customer wants and how does the customer know s/he/it is getting what they pay for?

example:
custome comes to review meeting and says "my staff tell me that it takes three seconds to do anything on Wednesday afternoons"

Service manager asks what was agreed in the SLA.

Answer: no mention of this in SLA.

Service manager can shrug and suggest negotiating a price for guaranteeing an average of 1.5 seconds in future.

Or service manager can run off and improve the system, come back and ask if that's better; customer says yes, but.., service manager runs off... until eventually everything collapses in a heap because an unplanned budget overrun improving service to undreamed of levels without recompense.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
muddu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: difference between incident and problem.. Reply with quote

Thanks so much Diarmid for your time on my query... its really an awesome forum.. getting very quick answers....

now i got some idea in difference between incident and problem.

i think i can surely learn many things from this now!..
i am in right track to clear all my doubts.

thanks a lot once again..
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddu
While this forum does have a lot of information,the best bet is to get the study material for ITIL and read it

then come back to the forum and read the posts

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: