Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RTaormina
New Today: 8
New Yesterday: 43
Overall: 146517

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 4
Total: 54 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - cost of incidents due to failed change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cost of incidents due to failed change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dilukd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: cost of incidents due to failed change Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just been asked to look at a way of calculating the cost of incidents caused due to failed changs.

Has anyone ever done something similar and able to share your experienced and how you went about calculating this..?

Cheers
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to become very clear as to what you are wanting to achieve.

Failed changes will either not have been implemented or will have been regressed and therefore they will not cause incidents. Except in the situation where they were intended to resolve a problem (i.e. a potential cause of incidents), but even here it is hard to say that the failed change caused the incvident, because the problem had a lot to do with it.

Now if you mean incidents caused by changes that have not failed (although the fact they cause an incident may lead to them being regressed and thus failed), you may want to distinguish between fualty changes (design and testing issues for example) and poorly executed implementations (planning and communications issues for example).

Once you have sorted out issues like these, you simply have to extract the cost details of the relevant incidents from your overall incident cost report.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
dilukd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diarmid

Apolgoies. I don't think my initial message was quite clear.

What i'm looking to cost out is your second point which is changes implemented which subsequently result in an incident and are then rolled back.

So guess i'm need to understand how to cost an incident i suppose. to help with the above. You've mentioned a incident cost report. This is something we don't do in our organisation at the moment. Would be something of interest to understand more of this, if you have anymore info on how costings work.

Cheers
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dilukd,

I thought that might be the case.

I see great risks if you start costing some incidents, but not all. It makes a big difference to whether the costs you come up with are 0.17% of your total incident costs or 73.45%, and, if you don't know, then you are likely to misjudge how serious the issue is and either over- or under-react to the report.

I'm not sure there is a simple formula for calculating (estimating might be the best you can do) the cost of an incident.

you can look at:

- staff unable to work (but more normally they will rather resort to lower value work and you need the difference)
- lost business (this has to be based on known factors, not some salesman's say so)
- investigation and repair costs (this is more under your control because it will mostly be service management staff doing it)
- opportunity costs within each of business and IT services

It might be possible to have some rules based on the importance of the service (at the time if it is periodically more or less important), the duration of the incident and the number of people affected. This will not be accurate but has the merit of being practical. With careful design and frequent review, it should be "ballpark" accurate for most cases and the really exceptional ones are likely to be getting screamed about at the time and therefore you could adjust your calculation in those cases.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: