Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LSalcido
New Today: 60
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 140034

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 1
Total: 52 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - OLA Implementation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OLA Implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WGIT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: OLA Implementation Reply with quote

Hi all

I am just looking for some general advice around implementing OLAs. I have an OLA template developed by a predecessor, and I am already having workgroup 'performance' meetings with team managers looking at SLA acheivement, outstanding calls etc. So I am looking to introduce OLAs off the back of those meetings. The IT organisation I work for delivers a wide range of services from standard Desktop, Email, Print type services through to very specific supply chain, logistics, pos, e-commerce and e-trading services. So some workgroups and teams only have involvment with 1 service while others, a server team for example may be involved in supporting dozens.

So one question I have is should the responsibilities OLA be broken down by Service, or should they be more general. Or should the OLA simply contain a list of Services (and their SLAs) that the OLA helps support?

Another question I have surround 'enforcement'. What mechanisms has any one put in place to ensure teams stick to the OLA?

Many Thanks

Ian.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

An OLA is an agreement between two teams in a company

That is all

If you are using OLAs, the SD would have one each for the Wintel, AIX, Linux, Network, DBA, monitoring, etc etc

It merely states what responsibility each party has to the other

and how is done

For example

the SD will assign tickets with sufficient info to the AIX group
The AIX group duty tech will acknowledge the ticket
the tecj will review for insufficient info
if found, return the ticket

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
WGIT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.

I think what we are aiming for is not an OLA in the strictest sense then.

The OLA template I have is for an agreement between the workgroup and the IT organisation as whole, so only 1 per team. Effectively it defines the areas of responsibility for the workgroup, any standard (scheduled) tasks, reporting and Management Info outputs. It also defines any targets ie. to pick up and handle a call with in 2 hours of assignment (irrespective of what group it was assigned from).

The problem I see for us with having OLAs between each workgroup is that the handling of the service call shouldn't depend on where it has come from, it should depend on what it is ie. Priority, how close it is to Deadline, Service/System affected...

We have support process diagrams for each Service that show the relationships between workgroups, Ie. Service Desk assign call to Wintel, Wintel investigate, if they cannot resolve escalate to Third Party etc. These are always approved by all parties prior to the Service going live.

So what I'm looking to do is to define and agree the area of responsibility for each workgroup, their key tasks and outputs, and their targets. If this isn't an OLA what is it? Is there anything within ITIL that this matches?

Many Thanks for you thoughts.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Assuming that these workgroups are part of the IT service organization, what you are describing is not an OLA to me. It is the fundamental definition of the role of a section. It emanates from the description of your organization structure and composition, and from the purpose and objectives of the IT service organization. And it does not naturally take the form of an agreement except in the sense that the section manager has agreed the contract of employment for the post.

So, it is nothing to do with ITIL, rather it is all to do with your quality management system. "Enforcement", if that is the right word, is achieved by normal management methods, particularly some form of performance management.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: