Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: D67E
New Today: 30
New Yesterday: 167
Overall: 131095

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 7
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Who's Accountable for Long Service Delivery Times?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Accountable for Long Service Delivery Times?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbisthedog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Who's Accountable for Long Service Delivery Times? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to Problem Management and was wanting to know who, according to ITIL, is responsible (accountable) for the following scenario:

User contacts Service Desk for simple incident. Incident is assigned to IT Resource since Service Desk could not resolve. Incident sits there for a month with no response to the User or resolution.

Would this be the Service Owner? If not, who is responsible (accountable) for this delay in service? We do not have SLOs and SLAs yet, so 'a long time' is subjective; but a month is far too long to resolve a simple incident --everyone here at my company knows that.

Thanks!
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start, [no that's wrong I have just started] what on earth has problem management got to do with the scenario you describe? Have you missed out some vital part of the narrative? you tell of an incident unresolved after a month. you make no mention of a problem. although I might suggest that you have some kind of management problem in these circumstances.

Now, as to your question:

I'm afraid you are going to find that while ITIL probably suggests it is a good idea to have someone responsible for this as for any other aspect of service manager, it is unlikely to make strong recommendation on whom that role should fall.

Also this is nothing to do with SLOs or SLAs.
(SLOs???)

I'm a bit concerned for your organization that you are thinking of developing SLAs before grasping the simple concept of management procedure and the formal attribution of authority and responsibility throughout your processes.

I am rather assuming that you do not have documented management procedures, because if you did, then your question would be readily answered by referring to them.

For lack of a documented management system, I would suggest that probably no one is responsible for ensuring that incidents are resolved rather than forgotten about. Or to put it another way the IT services manager (i.e. the high heid yin in IT) is the only person against whom the responsibility might lie.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
bubbisthedog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...what on earth has problem management got to do with the scenario you describe?"

That's the same thing I asked IT Management! They contort ITIL Problem Management, thinking that an prolonged unresolved incident can be seen as a "problem." I have repeatedly said, 'a *problem* is an unknown cause of an incident or incidents, nothing to do with how long it takes to resolve them!'

Accountability is a HUGE issue in our (dis)organization, and, no, there is not a documented management system.

Anyway, in the scenario I provided, I would hold the IT Resource and, perhaps, their Manager, accountable. They both are responsible for ensuring incidents are resolved in a timely manner, and should provide response to Users as to why incidents are resolved as quickly as expected.

I wish this fell under an ITIL role, but, oh, well...

Thanks for the feedback!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: