Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KTPF
New Today: 23
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139836

People Online:
Visitors: 71
Members: 1
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsmer
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have run into a little conceptual and practical problem which need of your expert thoughts.

I am advising an IT company on the SACM process.

I have read the SACM process some 20 times.

I am failing to understand if IT asset management which includes

1. right from asset request
2. asset procurement
3. asset receiving
4. asset management
5. asset disposal/retirement
6. and asset planning

are part of SACM?
if not under which process of ITIL v3 does it fall?

I have searched the net and I found a interesting post by somebody from this forum which tells that "ITIL assumes you are already doing asset management before implementing ITSM"!
When I read about a service asset does it equal to a CI? Then why confuse people mentioning service asset and configuration management as a lot of people I spoke to also think Asset management is part of SACM.
If SACM and CMS are similar to the V2 of Configuration Management then it is very restricted to the concept of CMS being a key component to other processes.

Thank for your time
cheers
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

So you are consulting for pay on a subject for which you have no clue

You want the members of the forum to give you guidance on ITIL, Configuration Management and Asset Management - in regards to how it fits into what ever you are consulting about

Fine. I will answer ....

TANSTAAFL

Pay one of us
or
Buy the ITIL Books

or both

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be seen to be gratuitously helping a consultant to provide advice on a subject that s/he has no knowledge or understanding of, but I cannot resist saying it is my view that, were ITIL to assume anything, it would be to assume you are doing all of IT service management if you are already running an IT service. I certainly assume that. As to how effectively it is being done and as to how conscious you are of all the things you are doing, that is another matter entirely.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to really dislike these spammers.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Edward_Williams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Supply Chain Management-IT Software Management and CMS Reply with quote

itsmer wrote:
Hi folks,

I have run into a little conceptual and practical problem which need of your expert thoughts.

I am advising an IT company on the SACM process.

I have read the SACM process some 20 times.

I am failing to understand if IT asset management which includes

1. right from asset request
2. asset procurement
3. asset receiving
4. asset management
5. asset disposal/retirement
6. and asset planning

are part of SACM?
if not under which process of ITIL v3 does it fall?

I have searched the net and I found a interesting post by somebody from this forum which tells that "ITIL assumes you are already doing asset management before implementing ITSM"!
When I read about a service asset does it equal to a CI? Then why confuse people mentioning service asset and configuration management as a lot of people I spoke to also think Asset management is part of SACM.
If SACM and CMS are similar to the V2 of Configuration Management then it is very restricted to the concept of CMS being a key component to other processes.

Thank for your time
cheers

That looks about right. Number 6 should be number 2 though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: