Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KGoodisso
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146046

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 0
Total: 65

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Difference between customer preferences and perceptions?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between customer preferences and perceptions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbalmer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Difference between customer preferences and perceptions? Reply with quote

Hi

I was confused by this even after clearing my ITIL foundation - what is the difference between customer preferences and customer perceptions, which are 2 of 3 aspects of value, in Service Strategy?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone wrote a piece on perception management in the ITSMF magazine a few years ago, but I don't know how to find that now.

I'm not clear where you are confused because the terms perception and preference seem quite clear. Can you give an example of where they seem confused?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mbalmer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm..say we are talking about an e-commerce website. What will be examples of customer preference and customer perception? For e.g., I prefer free shipping and if the site delivers that, my perception is that the site has free shipping? How are the 2 different, in terms of value?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your example has nothing to do with IT service or ITIL. It is about commerce. I dare say we all have opinions but there is no reason why anyone on this site should have expertise in that area.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBalmer

To be the beaarer of all truth here is the difference

The customer has a perceptions that the company underlying the eCommerce site is blood sucking, profit seeking, soul destroying organization which does not care whether their customers have food or clothing as long as they buy their products on line

The customer preference is to use a Credit card for purchases on the eCommerce site. The delivery method preference is via a preferred carrier such as DHL or UPS. The delivery location is my house

Any questions as to the difference ?

The perception has nothing to do with the preference and verse vica

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
MikkoH
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbalmer wrote:
Umm..say we are talking about an e-commerce website. What will be examples of customer preference and customer perception? For e.g., I prefer free shipping and if the site delivers that, my perception is that the site has free shipping? How are the 2 different, in terms of value?

Well, I'll try to help you here.

Let us say the e-commerce website is known to be expensive in their deliveries but very safe, and always in time as another e-commerce is know to be cheap, late on delivery and generally bad service.
<-Perceptions

Now these 2 e-commerce websites offer free shipping... Preference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: