Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MarioGsc
New Today: 37
New Yesterday: 72
Overall: 139527

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 1
Total: 52 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - KEDB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEDB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: KEDB Reply with quote

hi ,
I recently got a internship in of the mnc company and my project objective is to design and develop a KEDB. i am very new to this topic and the project manager has asked me to understand the concepts like maintenance project,
ITIL ,KEDB. I am just out of my college and new to this corporate world and those topics .can anyone guide me on these topics please. Sad
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a manager who thinks it's okay to have a known error database designed by someone who knows nothing about the subject? I hope your expertise is in systems analysis and that there are people in the organization who understand what is required in some depth including its scope and functionality and how it must integrate with other systems..... and what it will be used for and who will use it.... etc.... and what procedures and roles may require to be set up or changed in order for it to become part of the support for the management system. These are all aspects you need to determine even if you did have some knowledge of ITIL and KEDB.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
riya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no our manager just wants us to study on these topics till actual training starts.can you please tell me what type of errors are recorded in kedb?and how kedb is related to ITIL?
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KEDB stores information about problems (the underlying causes of incidents), providing information about the cause, and the workaround, pending a permanent fix
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not meaningful to think of ITIL and KEDB having a relationship. ITIL is guidance on best practice in IT service management and a KEDB is a database that can be used in relationship to IT service management and specifically to various aspects of problem management. Consequently ITIL talks about KEDB when it discusses aspects of problem management.

You can have a KEDB and use it well without ever having heard of ITIL and, conversely, you can have used ITIL well as guidance in (re)designing your management system and have elected not to have a KEDB.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
riya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank u so much for your replies.
riya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
i am planning to build a kedb on microsoft sharepoint ,so i need to know what all areas need to be focussed on as a part of kedb tool,request your support in this regard.
thank u
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riya

So are you going to pay for this ?
What is the rate ?
Daily ? Hourly ? Fixed fee ?

As there is a vast difference between free advice and consluting

Considering you have no clue about KEDB nor ITIL - as you have stated, why were you selected for this ?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an analysis to determine the requirements.
William Penn 1644-1718
riya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi diarmid,
thank you for your reply
riya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING,

Its so strange ,to meet people like u who discourage others.if u are not interested to reply then pls dont ......but dont discourage anybody.
As an intern i m trying my best to cross my limits and learn something new,and its very easy to comment for u.i really appreciate the people those who are replying.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riya,

I think you misunderstand the Viking.

I also am frustrated that you have a manager that thinks a KEDB is a commodity that can be built from an abstract template without reference to purpose and by people who know little about IT service management.

In advance of design, what work is being done to ensure its integration with other service management tools? Is there even an articulated service managment policy and strategy? - because these are the things your design should be addressing and be constrained by.
William Penn 1644-1718
riya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi diarmid,

i really felt very bad on viking's comment,i do agree i dont have any knowlegde on ITIL and related concepts but i cant see myself condemned by somebody.forget it.

coming to my point...actually there was a misunderstanding.It wasn't my managers fault but mine...Ours is a computer service related company and We are researching our Maintenance projects and support reuse in them. Most of the projects in our company do reuse at present, but we wanted to help in standardising the process across all the projects and help those who do not do by providing them with a KEDB tool.

As an intern my work is to understand how maintenance project works and what process they follow in handling tickets and then come up with a idea stating the scope for reuse and areas to be focussed on as part of kedb tool.

Based on the data and research that i do manager will assign a qualified team to design a KEDB in which i may be provided a small module to work on if i insist.this is the whole idea all about.

As you insisted,analysis i am going to do with the project teams within my company ,but wanted some external suggestions also.
Boydness
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did your KEDB initiative come along?

Did you make any progress?
Do you need any suggests? I can give you some insights into the constructs of some of the different versions that my organization used in the past.

Boydness
donichayen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: KEDB Reply with quote

I had to face an process audit for my project and the auditor wanted me to have a KEDB in place. But even he didnt have a template that I could reuse.

Today a created a new excel, used the first sheet as a facing page with a good header, company logo, names of the stakeholders and stuff, and in the 2nd sheet I created columns named-
Sl No, Reported By, Ref# , Type, Severity, Reported Modulel, Error Description, Workaround, Permanent Solution if Any , Remarks, and a third sheet with revision history.

KEDB template ready. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: