Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TMRPI
New Today: 88
New Yesterday: 92
Overall: 141432

People Online:
Visitors: 42
Members: 0
Total: 42

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL and CMM - how does it go hand in hand?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL and CMM - how does it go hand in hand?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: ITIL and CMM - how does it go hand in hand? Reply with quote

posted something last week but I guess it has been discarded by the admin or it just din make it to the headlines.

anyway, hope to draw some info from all of you gurus on this matter. I'm trying to figure out how ITIL and CMM/CMMi are tied together? Got some info from itilsurvival.com that CMM complements ITIL but the info there is too high level.

notice some postings on this matter further down the threads as well but nothing concrete came of it as yet. Can someone please help to shed some light on this matter?

all help is much appreciated.
Leif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ITIL and CMM - how does it go hand in hand? Reply with quote

dshaman wrote:
posted something last week but I guess it has been discarded by the admin or it just din make it to the headlines.

anyway, hope to draw some info from all of you gurus on this matter. I'm trying to figure out how ITIL and CMM/CMMi are tied together? Got some info from itilsurvival.com that CMM complements ITIL but the info there is too high level.

notice some postings on this matter further down the threads as well but nothing concrete came of it as yet. Can someone please help to shed some light on this matter?

all help is much appreciated.

Hi,

I'm an ITIL-guy without much knowledge of CMM/CMMi, with some use of Google I found this post in an CMM/CMMi forum. This is at least what "they" think differs between the two:

---
I too come from a CMM/CMM(I) background rather than ITIL, but as far as I understand the main difference is that ITIL refers in the main to hardware; whilst CMM is software and CMMI is both.

ITIL does not cover software or documentation or general items within it's standard or any database around it. It is concerned with hardware, hardware assets and the recording of software detail rather than the storage or control of software detail.

CMM Level 2 requires Software Configuration Management and covers planning, identification, change control, baselining and policy. ITIL governs hardware and assets along with their control. I would see ITIL as being useful at CMM Level 5 when conducting Technology Change Management and controlling hardware/software assets and planning deployment across your organisation.

The ITIL organisation is considering including document and software items in the next 'refresh', although there is no date as to when this might be.

Is there a reason why you are CMM Level 2 rather than CMMI? CMMI goes into more detail on the overall product rather than just the software element of the product. It also does it better than ITIL, which again states it is the overall product - but it is just the hardware asset itself.
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Related Topics All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: