Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ESeaborn
New Today: 40
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146550

People Online:
Visitors: 36
Members: 2
Total: 38 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Oh no, another "ITIL Foundation Certification" Thr
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh no, another "ITIL Foundation Certification" Thr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAngryDog

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Oh no, another "ITIL Foundation Certification" Thr Reply with quote

Sorry Rolling Eyes

Like many who have posted before me, and who will post after me, I am going to home study the ITIL Foundation Certification, and then take the exam via Prometric.

I have already purchased the ITIL Foundation book written by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris, of which I am starting to read through today.

I have seen various postings on time taken etc to study. I am breaking it down into two 1 hour slots per day, so that I do not get over load, and so that I can digest what I have read. I intend on reading the book twice. Once to read it, the second time to study it. I currently work in a Desk Side support role so I am confident that I should not have too much trouble with passing this.

I have CBT Nuggets at my disposal which I also intend on watching and making any notes that I feel are useful.

I do not want to just pass the exam, I want to know everything I can so that I can align myself properly to the ITIL standards.

My question to all you lovely ITIL Community people, does my plan sound like a good, workable strategy? I am not interested in cheating my way through the exam, cheats always get found out, and I am sick of all of the people who have plastic certs without ever actually doing anything related to what they're "studying" for.

Thanks in advance.
ChrisBianchi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, TheAngryDog,

Your study approach might work for you - it's hard for me to be the judge. I, personally, learn well studying on my own and find "classroom" engagement to be difficult (we'll call it "easily distracted"). The so-called boot camp courses of 7-8 straight hours of content for four days then a test aren't my friend, though they have been successful for me in the past. I'd rather saw off a left toe.

On the other hand, several of my associates would despise a self-study course. Reading a book as dry as the topic of Service Management (sorry, it is, and it's my specialty) isn't going to take you on an adventure to Narnia. Classroom engagement works best for them.

Two key points to know about yourself are A) how you learn and B) the limits of your attention span.

That being said, I'd be most concerned about your confidence factor that you're gaining from your current role. From my experience, people tend to do the worst on the exam in the areas within which they are most familiar "on the job." You probably have a lot of experience with SLAs, Incidents, Problems, and possibly Changes. But do you? As in, do you have the "ITIL-topia" understanding in the way defined by the book or do you have experience in the way that these items are performed at your company? Remember, you're not being tested on how you do things - you're being tested on how the ITIL books say you should do things.

I published an article in the second half of last year that you might be interested in Forget What You Know About ITIL was inspired by a colleague's (actually several) recent experience with the ITIL foundations exam. When I achieved my first ITIL Foundations exam (v2 in 2007), I had a similar experience. Fortunately, I knew what to expect with v3/2011 and opted to take the full path rather than the bridge.

The best of luck to you as you pursue your certification!

[No links please - Admin]
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADMIN

Link in ChrisBanchi's Post

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
ITILadmin
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
ADMIN
Link in ChrisBanchi's Post

Deleted. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: