Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ANXL
New Today: 21
New Yesterday: 79
Overall: 144656

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 4
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Who chairs a PIR
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who chairs a PIR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrinder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Who chairs a PIR Reply with quote

Who chairs or conducts a PIR meeting? My question is basically for Post Outage reviews post an Incident. If we say its the Incident Manager, isn't the review going to be biased against the actions or shortcomings that can be identified against him/her?

The same question is for the Post Implementation Review post a change implementation? Should that be the Change Manager holding or conducting a PIR? Would not he or she be biased?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of the PIR ?
what is the output from the PIR ?

Who do you think should chair the Deployment Post Implementation Review ?

Why should the change manager be the chair ?
What would the bias be from the Change Manager as you have stated the CM would have a bias ?

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Harrinder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John (UNVIKING),

Thanks for your response.

I am the IT change manager for a utility company and do hold PIRs post Major Changes, Failed Changes, Emergency Changes and for Changes causing Major Incidents. Typically I invite the Service Management, Operations Management, Transition Management and the implementing team's lead or delivery manager for the PIR. sometimes business representatives or BRMs are invited based on requirements. Of course the factors considered for the outcome of the change in subject are process, tools, technology and people. I have had no challenges so far as far as identifying lessons, gaps and improvements and corresponding actions.

Similar is the audience for a PIR that is held by an Incident Manager post a Major Incident (Severity 1 or 2). The factors are obviously the same; process, tools, technology and people. I have noticed a few times that there are capability issues and process gaps in the Major Incident Management and they are often repeatable. There are many actions that get identified for the Major Incident Manager (MIM). However sometimes the MIM tends to avert them or delegate them. In an effort towards maturity, it comes to my mind that the PIR should be held by a neutral group/member so as to keep it unbiased and justified.

I used Change Management in the same question as the situation as such may arise in that stream too.

Your views please.

Thanks, Harinder.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harinder,

The notion that the PIR should be done by a neutral party is flawed.

The PIR if run by the CM is looking to see if the implementation was in line with the CM processes, procedures, etc. The bias is required

A post deployment review should be done by the development team - especially for customised code - when they do major deployments to make sure what they deployed is actually what they wanted. This would be chaired by the Development Manager

So the reviews have to be chaired by some one who has a direct interest in the work been done - right according to the process being reflected against.

That said: if there was a uber -group that was above all of the general process owners, then yes - they should do a review of items against all the disciplines - but this should be reserved for major activities - a major incident -followed by problems followed by emergency development, deployment and of course a majpr emergency change

I do not recall in my review of CMMi that the higher level maturity level requires non bias... could be wrong

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: