Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ABurchfie
New Today: 169
New Yesterday: 202
Overall: 130733

People Online:
Visitors: 162
Members: 3
Total: 165 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Management Procedure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Management Procedure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Change Management Procedure Reply with quote

If you can provide any ammunition here I would be most grateful.
As the change manager I wrote our procedure. Our Operations manager has been given the opportunity to make suggestions and edits to the procedure and of course has made what I consider unreasonable suggestions.
First I do not think it is acceptable to allow the person held in compliance of said document to make edits to it. Second, he has made suggestions like, eliminate the weekly CAB meetings and only meet in person if requested so then we would have rolling electronic approvals.
The point I am trying to get across to my manager is that the OPS manager may review for accuracy but it is my job to make sure that it meets NIST guidelines and secures our production environment and he should not be able to make edits to the procedure as he see’s fit.
Comments?
Thanks!
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
of course has made what I consider unreasonable suggestions

There is clearly some lack of teamwork going on here.

Quote:
suggestions like, eliminate the weekly CAB meetings and only meet in person if requested so then we would have rolling electronic approvals.

Decisions at this level are basic policy and have to be sorted out before you write the procedure.

Quote:
person held in compliance

I rather think that the Ops manager is to a great extent one of your "customers" in this context.

If the change procedure does not work for operations, it is not going to work.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix

If you work for the Operations manager, then he has an obligation . responsibility to tell youhow to do your job as he is your boss.

If not.. tell him to F off... well not really

1 - You need to have a CM policy document that categorically states about meeting and not tool clicks

2 - you need a CAB policy that defines the frequency, make up, scope etc of the Change Board.

3 - you need to get the common manager to you two to sign off or the senior-ist mgmt wonk to do so.

Then you can tell him to f off by pointing to the policy by incorporating the policy in the process and procedures

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. We do have policy and procedures that state everything. It states that the CCB meetings are in person along with many other things. Our documents are periodically reviewed and this review cycle the Applications manager made many 'suggested' edits. One was to eliminate in person CCB meetings and do electronic voting. I am the change manager and do not want to change our current in person format. The senior manager will make the decision on what to do - App manager reports directly to him. My opinion is that I think that giving the app manager the ability to write/edit the document is like having the fox guard the hen house.
I do not see him as much a customer as a compliant entity. My customers are the agency and the business offices who request that we implement things safely within our live environment.

I wont argue that there is a lack of teamwork which to me translates to issues with leadership and direction. Eventhough that may be lacking, it does not mean that I should not try to do what I was hired to do - support a process that protects production. Removing more exposure from the process does not achieve my goal.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you have a process issue and a toxic peer

The process is the document review process

Does any pinhead have the authorization to make changes to policy documents

or

Are suggestions made and some owner of the process for the documented process get the final say

As for the toxic peer .. if he is in your mgmt food chain, then you need to go to the common mgmt chain and get him to pull his nose out of your area.

This is NOT ITIL per se.. but office mgmt / politics

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: