Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FMcClinto
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 43
Overall: 146518

People Online:
Visitors: 45
Members: 1
Total: 46 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Non-Production Issues - Incident/Problem Classification
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Production Issues - Incident/Problem Classification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DustinW07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Non-Production Issues - Incident/Problem Classification Reply with quote

I'm assuming that several of you work in organizations that have both a Production & Non-Production "Test" environment(s). For those of you that have at least one Non-Production environment, Do you create Incidents/Problems for Non-Production issues? If so, how do you categorize your Non-Production Incidents/Problems from a classification standpoint? Two reasons I could see the argument of wanting to look into Non-Production incidents/problems since:

1) There's a risk some of those could eventually go to your Production environment, and
2) There's a Productivity loss (cost) every time team members need to fix recurring incidents in a Non-Production environment.

With that said, if our Production Incidents/Problems are classified using a Critical -->High -->Major -->and Low scale....Do you essentially:

1) Add another category after "Low" for Non-Production incidents. Do you have an SLA for Non-Prod issues? My fear of not having an SLA is that this bucket grows without ever really being touched since they're Non-Prod issues......or
2) Include Non-Prod incidents in your "Low" category. This options scares me because of the blending of Non-Prod & Prod Incidents.

I also see the standpoint of not creating incidents/problems for Non-Production issues. For those of you that DON'T create Incidents/Problems for Non-Production related issues, I'd love to hear your case as to why you don't.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refer to the thread "Can Non Production Issues be treated as Incident in ITIL" in ITIL discussion about 10 days ago.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
DustinW07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diarmid. I didn't see that post previously so I appreciate you pointing that out.

I'd argue that while it's the same thread topic, my question is not whether or not you can treat them as incidents. I'm looking more for the practical application of how organizations handle Incidents/Problems in a Non-prod environment, if they do at all. If you think that's a better question for the General "ITIL Discussion" forum, I'm totally fine with that & can open a new thread in that forum instead of this one. However, that specific "Can Non-prod issues be treated...." thread doesn't necessarilly address my question(s).
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin

An incident is an incident - whether it is for Prod or non prod

If the classification system for the ticket allow for the application, fault type and environment then the incident will be classified as such

the only difference in production and non production regarding incidents should be around the priority / urgency.

Non prd should be for the most part be one level below production in regards to these priority / urgency

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
DustinW07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UKViking....that makes sense. A number of our ITSM processes are being completely revamped and are in their infancy stages, so I wanted to think ahead & give some thought to how companies handle their Non-Production Incidents/Problems. I think it'll be tough to formally address those right out of the gate, but as our processes get more mature, I think we'll be able to have more dedicated processes to address the Non-Prodocution Incidents/Problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: