Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DPuente
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 141992

People Online:
Visitors: 77
Members: 2
Total: 79 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Power Maintenance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Maintenance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scooter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Power Maintenance Reply with quote

If a customer site will undergo some planned power maintenance, how, if at all will contracted change management be involved?

If the customer requires support, like gracefully powering down managed network devices prior to the planned power maintenance, shouldn't this require a billable service request?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT depends

It depends on what in the contract

However, if you are providing system management, maintenance such as Data centre maintenance should be part of the system maintenance

If there is UPS or even if there is, there is a responsibility to manage the systems - which does cover a great - without getting into contract specific

if the maintenance is planned and announce and the systems corrupt because the service mgmt firm did not do their implied duty, I as the customer - especially if I lost data - would huffing and puffing at my legal department - breach of contract, etc and sue.. more than likely successfully for damages to the loss of data

which can ruin a company

As for charging - if you charge a bundled fee for system management .. .again.. this is part

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer nor do I profess to be knowledgable about issues like this.. however, i have been around long enough to have heard FoF stories

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Scooter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Power Maintenance - follow up Reply with quote

First thanks for your response. It is very much valued.

I should be clearer: I do not provide data center maintenance only network management (WAN, LAN, Security devices and connectivity). Someone else provides data center maintenance - and site facilities - like power.

So if planned power maintenance is conducted by third party or the end user, why wouldn't I expect payment to support that, unless, as you say, it was something provided for in our contract with the end user?

Further, I don't think this requires change management involvement from me.

What say you?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm

It should be discussed in your customers CM meeting as an agenda item
While it is NOT a change, it is an Service Impact work

As for you providing Network mgmt, my question is simple

Do you manage the service - or the service and the equipment
as for the equipment, what happens if the power goes out

how can you manage the network if the power goes out

As for this beeing an additional charge tp which you charge your customer(s).

There is a company - RyanAir - that provides flights - cheap - but they charge for every little item as extra - to the point of silliness in my view

If you provide a 24x7 network management service - in my opniion - if there is a power mainteance or a power failure and restoration.. you are still having to provide the service

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
KenLuo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think UKVIKING pointed out the KEY POINT, as you're delivering the service.

If you're confident that your network devices won't suffer any issue when the power is shutdown and they still can be online after the power is back, you can go ahead without any action.

But as a practice, we don't do like this, we always well plan our shutdown one by one in sequence and then power them on also in special sequence, in this way, we can say our service is manageable, right?

ITIL Expert Certified
Scooter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Power Maintenance Reply with quote

Thank you both for your expert opinions!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: