Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KPutilin
New Today: 37
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 143526

People Online:
Visitors: 66
Members: 2
Total: 68 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - who to close the trouble ticket?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who to close the trouble ticket?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supertooth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: who to close the trouble ticket? Reply with quote

I'm very new to ITIL. In incident management, is there some critieria that says that the person who raises the incident should be the one who closes the incident ticket. It sounds odd to me.
If I take a real life scenario, Company A raises a trouble ticket to Company B. Company B rectifies the problem but has to wait for Company A to close the ticket.
Anyone can advise on me if this is the correct flow? I always have this impression that the person who rectifies the problem (Company B) should be the one closing the ticket. thanks
ClaireAgutter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi supertooth

The ITIL principles state that incidents can only be closed with the customer's permission. The Service Desk should contact the customer before closing the incident to check that everything is okay. This can increase customer satisfaction and make sure that technical teams aren't closing incidents because they've got bored of them.

In the real world, there may not be enough resources on the Service Desk to contact every customer, or customers may not want this. Many organisations have automated the closure process and send an email to the customer instead. The email will state that IT believe the incident is complete, and unless they hear from the customer in xx number of days, it will be closed.

Claire
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underlyign object of asking the customer / user is to find out whether their service is running as required -- ie the incident is no longer there

how that is done is up to the company .. but clair has it right for a lot of them

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
supertooth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John and Claire. Your inputs really helped to clarify my question! the problem with my environment is that there are SLGs if the ticket is not resolved. In spite of that, we still have to check with the customer. Sure need to automate this portion to reduce workload. Smile

Cheers.
ClaireAgutter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi supertooth

It's normal to report on incident closure and have targets associated with this. However, it would also be normal to filter out incidents that took a long time to close because the customer didn't get back to you.

If customers aren't responding to requests to close incidents, the service provider shouldn't be punished or deemed to have failed the target. It may well be an indication the customer doesn't want that level of service and would be happy with an automated solution.

Claire
Sunny60in

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Supertooth

Some best practices that I have experienced:

Configure your SLGs (ticketing tool) so that SLG clock stops when action is not with your team. It might be the status of the incident ticket which is set to 'on-Hold' or 'Pending'. I have seen service providers using these status when some information is expected from the user.

There is another popular practice and that is to 'Resolve' the incident and wait for user confirmation before you 'Close' the incident ticket. In such case service provider agrees for SLG for 'Resolving' and not for the 'Closer'.

Ticket is close when:
- User approves the closer
- There isn't any response from the user (criteria for this is usually agreed with the customer. Example: 3 strick process - 3 follow up (every 24 hours) on 'no response' before closer)
With these 2 points as base, there shouldn't be much fuss about WHO closes the ticket.... service desk or L2 or L3...

but then... life isn't that easy.. management tragets, STATS & reports force these teams argue on their 'right to close the ticket' and one can be party to all the best possible arguments and logic...
Boydness
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny60in wrote:

Ticket is close when:
- User approves the closer
- There isn't any response from the user (criteria for this is usually agreed with the customer. Example: 3 strick process - 3 follow up (every 24 hours) on 'no response' before closer)
With these 2 points as base, there shouldn't be much fuss about WHO closes the ticket.... service desk or L2 or L3...

but then... life isn't that easy.. management tragets, STATS & reports force these teams argue on their 'right to close the ticket' and one can be party to all the best possible arguments and logic...

Ours are generally the same process. The Return to Service time is entered and the notification/contact works essentially as he stated.

Depending on the Service Desks, typically the Incident Manager or Shift Supervisor closes the problem after it reaches the defined criteria.
Is it that you are looking to define that criteria and which roles can close the Incident?

Problem tickets have separate criteria, with only the Problem Manager able to close a ticket (but that is also delegated in certain situations to designated Problem Coordinators).

In the end, the criteria has to be identified and met, so it doesn't really matter who is doing the closing.

Boydness
geniusatya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Service desk 24 hours follow up tickets Reply with quote

Hi all,

May be I am opening a very old loop but this is some what close to my operational issue.
I am running a shared Service Desk. As per process SD's basic responsibility is to receive level one calls and assign it to the concerned team after analyzing the ticket.
As per ITIL process what I grasped was the Service desk is responsible only for the assignment and any follow ups or pending customer greater than 24 hours should be taken care by the respective level 2 verticals and close the same. Any 72 hours tickets can be set either to auto close or do a manual closure.
Please confirm if the above process is correct as I am getting constraints from level 2 that the level 1 should do this task. I am positive about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: