Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ABurks
New Today: 85
New Yesterday: 63
Overall: 139414

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 3
Total: 67 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service request, change request or a release?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service request, change request or a release?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hena

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Service request, change request or a release? Reply with quote

Hi,

In our organisation, we have a mature change management process, a service request process that is weak, and no release management (no appetite from management). We do laptop and blackberry refreshes as hardware become old (2-4 years) and these are currently handled as service requests created and managed by IT. The service requests are either long term, or submitted as short term SRs with specific users listed for the refresh. Recently, we have started talking about incidents that have been caused by these service request and how our outsourced helpdesk not doing a good job of relating them to the service request (most likely because they don't know). The service manager has asked if the hardware refreshes should be managed as a delegated change which is one RFC for multiple implementations for a longer period of time with the condition that there is a set schedule and same procedures every time. This way we can manage the incidents better. She is basically looking for the mature change process to deal with something our less mature service request process can't handle. The scope of the change process as defined on our company is when you make a change to the IT infrastructure or to the services IT delivers. Technically, our scope is wide enough to say that blackberry and laptop is a service provided by IT.

The questions that came to my mind after that conversation:
1) In the ITIL world, can service request cause incidents? I can't find much info on this.
2) Should normal hardware refresh be covered under the change process or does it belong under a different process such as service request or release & deployment?
3) Should new standards for hardware and software on end points go through the change process? I.e. if we make Windows 7 our new corporate standard, should there be an RFC to make it so? We do that for security policies that are pushed out to end points.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated!
Sammy024

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions that came to my mind after that conversation:
1) In the ITIL world, can service request cause incidents? I can't find much info on this.
Answer- There are cases where it can but generally the SR's logged does not impact the users.
2) Should normal hardware refresh be covered under the change process or does it belong under a different process such as service request or release & deployment?
Answer: It can be done via SR or Standard Change. It actually depends on how the client accepts it. But ITIL wise it can be done via SR
3) Should new standards for hardware and software on end points go through the change process? I.e. if we make Windows 7 our new corporate standard, should there be an RFC to make it so? We do that for security policies that are pushed out to end points.
Answer: Sorry I am not clear with this question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: