Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HA10
New Today: 34
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 140008

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 4
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - What Level of Detail for Locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Level of Detail for Locations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevensN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: What Level of Detail for Locations Reply with quote

Hi All,

I thought I would try my luck in getting some thoughts and opinions on an approach for splitting location details to record CI's against.

The issue that we are currently facing is that I am part of a banking company who wishes to record ATMs in the CMDB, ATMs can be scattered around at various locations which is fine. However the complication comes from having multiple ATMs in a location, for example, in a Shopping Mall.

The thought I have been having is recording the shopping mall as a location, and then associate all ATMs to that location, and record the specific location details of the ATM and the related router for that ATM against the CI.

For example, we have 3 ATMs A,B and C in Shopping Mall 123, associate all ATM CI to that location, and then on the CI itself find a space to record the different specific location i.e. Near Food Court, In Lobby, 2nd Floor Near Shop B.

Note: the specific information will help identify to the support team the exact location when looking to repair the device. However is the split best on the location record or the CI record itself. Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I suppose the same applies to the old issue of whether to record the level of a building or desk an asset is at as well.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well

there are a few ways. As you need power, network cabling etc.,,, there is probably business / electical locations - etc

Or

X/Y/Z coordinates

or

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: