Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KristeenHorroc
New Today: 46
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 162434

People Online:
Visitors: 44
Members: 1
Total: 45 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Question on Training / Knowledge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on Training / Knowledge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Question on Training / Knowledge Reply with quote

I just have more of a quandary here but ties into our operational change space and hope I can get some good conversation going here on how you all manage things. With that said...

We have a "problem" internally where we spend tremendous time hand-holding people through filling our their change request in relation to a few areas of the form. We require that they populate their end-to-end implementation plans within the record and it seems that regardless of skill level, many just do not grasp the concept of documented plans. The process is also blamed anytime there is a critical incident or a change failure as we don't currently train people how to do data entry on fields within the form - just what the core requirements and steps of the process are.

So my question I guess is two-fold:
1. Do you require that the full plans be published within a change record and if not, why? I have considered suggesting we stop using it because if we are using professionally skilled technical resources, why force them to essentially copy plans from one place and put into another (or pull it from their heads).
2. If you do, how do you ensure that people understand the basic requirements outside the normal change training? We are in the process of producing short training videos on this specific topic but am wondering if it should really be the change management team that owns this since we are not technical resources.

I appreciate there may be many variables to what I've outlined but would love to hear what others are doing in their organizations to try and gauge the value of different approaches.
Kranti
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changeborg -Firstly I Appreciate the Question and the detailed description

Please find my answer on how i handled this situation
1. Do you require that the full plans be published within a change record and if not, why? I have considered suggesting we stop using it because if we are using professionally skilled technical resources, why force them to essentially copy plans from one place and put into another (or pull it from their heads).

I personally believe that whatever you have done is appropriate however are you sure that you always would like to use high technical Resources ,just in case if this is yes and you will use highly skilled technical resources then less documentation is preferred but i don't always think that this would be the case and hence keeping stock of the entire Documentation is always appropriate .It might be useful in a longer run .

2. If you do, how do you ensure that people understand the basic requirements outside the normal change training? We are in the process of producing short training videos on this specific topic but am wondering if it should really be the change management team that owns this since we are not technical resources.

I personally feel that Change Management team should be responsible for keeping the track of the training Docs . They need not be responsible but I feel they should be accountable and they should always know where they are exactly stored .

Both the above are just my way of dealing things . Hope this might help .Thanks and All the Very Best

Project Manager - SAP

ITIL® Expert
Prince2®
CSM® CSPO® CSP®
PMI® SAP®
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt ®
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All

First, Change Management should write the training documents for Change Management and that is about it. The documents should be used as part of any onboarding / orientation for the staff as part of their training. In addition, the documents should be readily available from a Knowledge base site.

CM may have to teach or provide the training themselves ... depending on the structure

Second, the implementation documents for certain types of changes are standard - network firewall rules, software installation, etc. There should be a standard install document which is for the implementation team or individual.

In addition, what has to be in the change request is the actual plan - what the damn engineer is going to do and when he or she is going to do it. and what are the critical milestones... in order to have the work be completed or rolled back w/in the time frame allotted

See the following

1 - Engineer will install the software
2 - Software should install automatically with the default selections. This should take no more than 1hour (use the ST-Scotty rule)
3- Once the software has been installed, the server will rebooted and validated that it works.
4 - The reboot should take no more than 15 minutes
5 - As there are 10 servers - 5 will be done at the same time

If any of the first 5 fail, then the change will be rolled back

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Kranti
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING-- Very Informative .

Project Manager - SAP

ITIL® Expert
Prince2®
CSM® CSPO® CSP®
PMI® SAP®
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt ®
LuLoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience as a Change Manager you are better off getting your team to document and deliver the training yourself. Take responsibility for it as nobody else will.
Design an implementation template using Excel or similar with input from your techies (make them feel loved and avoid the duplication) Keep it relatively simple and generic. Stipulate mandatory use of the template in the policy. If they don't use it their change doesn't happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: