Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: omolux
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 60
Overall: 187039

People Online:
Visitors: 92
Members: 1
Total: 93 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Detecting formal ITIL implementation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Detecting formal ITIL implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinyeandel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Detecting formal ITIL implementation Reply with quote

Hi

Simple question: From someone who is not ITIL experienced, how to go about determining ITIL is in use from the onset?

Background to this question is me being tasked with vendor management and reading a contractual requirements, one of which is to determine the vendor is using ITIL (version 3). I've worked in ITIL environments and know what its about and its practices but I've not seen any evidence so looking for a professional approach to formally support the argument the vendor is or is not using ITIL.
e.g. what are the bare minimums.

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

First, lets talk what ITIL is not.

ITIL is not something installed, implemented or accredited.

ITIL is a set of advice on how IT Service Management is to be done well.

ITIL v3 (2011) is the latest version of the books.

The big difference between the current version and the previous is that the previous divided IT SM into Delivery and Support. In addition, there were other processes outside of the core two areas

The change in V3 / 2011 was to take them all and roll them into a lifecycle - sort of like it is done. Then dividing into managerial areas (LACK OF BETTER TERM) - Strategy, Design, Transition, Operation and Improvement.

So, an IT Service Management process - by the managers / owners - would look to the advice in ITIL and do two things - Adopt the advice and the adapt the advice to fit the organisation.

So, if you are trying to determine if the vendor is using ITIL as the basis for their IT Service Management, that is what you look for.

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
kevinyeandel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on this. I appreciate it.

I was looking for "common language" as you would get with frameworks such as TOGAF and PRINCE2. I know TOGAF lends to separation at key architecture phases.

I admit not conducting sufficient research and made this my first stop so didn't know if there are details such as defined folder structures, document templates and standard operational procedures that would give a clue.

Vendor assures with insistence that they are using it and, as they do work for the police and others, I have confidence in their statement.

My mission is to develop an exit strategy early on (which currently only exists in embryonic form in the current contract) so having to develop disentanglement during the engagement to ensure seamless handover if the current supplier is unsuccessful at the next mandatory public tendering (years away).

Thanks again.

Kevin
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin

I would ask for proof

A copy of their incident management process and the process for Major incidents

In addition, ask them how they manage the IT assets and its configuration in their tool set

Take nothing on faith. You get egg on face

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Horace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

There are certainly no defined folder structures, templates, and the like.

What you need to do is really quite simple. Choose a couple of process areas such as incident management and service level management and ask to see them. Then, ask to see evidence that they actually follow them.

The latter is a good one to choose because it is very visible to you as a user of the company's services. It should detail how they will monitor customer satisfaction. You can ask them to explain how they will do this with you, and ask for evidence that they have done it with others.

As for exiting the arrangement at some point in the future, I suggest you focus on the records they'll create as they provide the service to you. Records will be things like incidents, changes, contracts with third parties, etc. They may have tools into which these things will be entered and you should think about whether you would need access or exports.
As_One_IT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Service Review Meetings? Reply with quote

Another quick and simple check to see if they are following ITIL guidelines and also get hold of some key information is to ensure that regular Service Review meetings are taking place between the service provider and the key customer stakeholders, chaired by the supplier of these services - usually by a role called 'Service Delivery Manager'

These meetings should include some record of key incidents, risks and issues, and also some project milestones and planned implementations.

If these meetings aren't taking place then they're not following ITIL best practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: