Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KSBFO
New Today: 7
New Yesterday: 54
Overall: 139819

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 5
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How detailed should a back out plan be?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How detailed should a back out plan be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmcp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: How detailed should a back out plan be? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've had a look through previous discussions and cant see an exact answer to my question. Apologies if I am repeating anything.

I am currently trying to encourage my IT colleagues to include more detail in their RFC backout plans. Currently I am lucky if I get more than 2 lines of text! I go along the lines of "if you were hit by a bus tomorrow and your RFC had failed, we would need to be able to open your RFC and back it out from your plan". They on the other hand are fighting this as it they feel that if someone were to back out their RFC in their absence, it would be someone in their team and so 1 - 2 lines of information would be enough to tell them what to do.

I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were? and what stance you take in your roles as fellow Change Management, ITIL professionals?

All advise gratefully appreciated.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss MCP

the answer is it depends

It depends solely on what is the requirement from the change management policy and process.

The back out plan needs to be a statement or series of statements that indicate that there is a process - standard or otherwise - that will be actioned if there is a need to undo the work or restore to a previous version.

If there is a standard process - back up etc - then the change raiser needs to make sure the info in the CM form is clear enough to satisfy the CAB

It is one of those subjective questions that truly depends on the context

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
missmcp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Thanks UK Viking
zenbubble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When asked how much details needs to go into any plan (Implementation, test, Backout, etc), I always use the line that, if the person responsible (e.g. Sysadmin A) were to get hit by a bus, there needs to be a sufficient level of details that an appropriate, equivalent resource (e.g. Sysadmin B) could pick up the plan and run with it.

-Chris
ChangingMan
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our approach is slightly different to those mentioned, I always say the more complex the change the more detailed the plans have to be.

One of our biggest challenges is speeding up change into the business safely without being seen as needless bureaucracy. If we ask for super detailed implementation and backout plans for simple minor changes then we run the risk of slowing the process down and giving Change Management a bad rep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: