Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LizzieFabr
New Today: 106
New Yesterday: 120
Overall: 164862

People Online:
Visitors: 85
Members: 5
Total: 90 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - User question on when incident closed/resolved and feedback
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User question on when incident closed/resolved and feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: User question on when incident closed/resolved and feedback Reply with quote

Hi,

Grateful for the wisdom of the forum.

I'm not an ITIL professional, or even an IT one. I'm a user of various Log IT at a large governmental organisation (you could probably call me a super-user, others within that organisation look to me for advice, so I deal with many incidents) . We have essentially outsourced our IT to a commercial contractor including Incident Management.

A lot of my questions to how that Incident Management process is run tend to run along the lines of, well that's standard ITIL practice. Which I feel is kind of frustrating as ITIL is essentially a walled garden, it is not a Reference I can pull off a shelf and see how it works - it sits behind a firewall which you (or your organisation) needs to pay for.

I'd therefore be grateful for any advice on what is 'standard ITIL practice' with the following questions:

a. An incident is raised. A workaround solution is provided and a problem is correspondingly raised. What happens to the original incident? Is it kept open until the problem is resolved or is it closed at the point the problem is raised.

b. If the correct solution is to 'close' an incident when a problem is raised, what is the terminology for that. For instance is the term escalated used?

c. Generally I understand the terms 'resolved' to mean that the desk operator considers it over, 'closed' is when the customer considers it over (though not everyone uses these terms). What if the user wants to keep the incident open until the underlying problem is closed? Is this acceptable?

d. What's the standard feedback loop to the user for a problem as opposed to an incident. So the user who reports the incident gets told when the incident is closed, but how do they get informed when the problem gets closed. As I see it under ITIL the end user has no real idea how the problem is progressing!

Anyway grateful for your thoughts. Appreciate your reply in advance.

Very Happy

Yours
Matt
Kranti
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delayed response .Somehow whenever i am trying to write up something here i get page cannot be displayed

Here is my view

a. An incident is raised. A workaround solution is provided and a problem is correspondingly raised. What happens to the original incident? Is it kept open until the problem is resolved or is it closed at the point the problem is raised.

My view : Incident is closed immediately after you provide a work around . Problem ticket is not closed till a permanent solution is provided and is correctly implemented in Production

b. If the correct solution is to 'close' an incident when a problem is raised, what is the terminology for that. For instance is the term escalated used?

My view :Escalated might not be an apt word however we can say a related PM ticket is raised however this doesn't really matter if the customer is happy with the outcome

c. Generally I understand the terms 'resolved' to mean that the desk operator considers it over, 'closed' is when the customer considers it over (though not everyone uses these terms). What if the user wants to keep the incident open until the underlying problem is closed? Is this acceptable?
Generally the ticket is set to solved once the Engineer confirms the issue is fixed . Closed is generally an automated process like may be after 10 days ticket is closed automatically and if user has the same issue again Engineer can reopen the same ticket .Once the issue is closed user needs to raise a new ticket

d. What's the standard feedback loop to the user for a problem as opposed to an incident. So the user who reports the incident gets told when the incident is closed, but how do they get informed when the problem gets closed. As I see it under ITIL the end user has no real idea how the problem is progressing!
My view :
Its very important that user needs to always be informed about the status of the PM as well just not incident .Might be via email or these days all ticketing tools have automated updates sent to people in Watch Lists .
Anyway grateful for your thoughts. Appreciate your reply in advance. The user needs to also test in case PM ticket leads to a code fix or change in current programs or a new Business requirement

All the above views are best practices that i followed however there might be a difference in Opinion .As long as things work I personally feel that everything is a best practice for that particular space or environment of work

Project Manager - SAP

ITIL® Expert
Prince2®
CSM® CSPO® CSP®
PMI® SAP®
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt ®
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: