Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TRagan
New Today: 8
New Yesterday: 78
Overall: 144642

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 3
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL - Case Studies & Templates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL - Case Studies & Templates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
randarbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: ITIL - Case Studies & Templates Reply with quote

Hello!

I work for an Education Institution in the US. We are moving toward aligning ourselves with ITIL. I want to know if anyone has case studies that show moving from IT as we knew it to ITIL. Case studies for any type of business is welcome, but Education sase studies would probably help us out the most.

I am also looking for examples of Service Catalogues. Creating a Service Catalogue appears to be a daunting task and I would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Any help in these 2 areas are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!
RandyASteinberg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to contact me at RandyASteinberg@aol.com as this may be more tnan what can fit in one reply.

Service Catalog should not be a "daunting" task to pull together. I am guessing that you might be mis-describing what a service is and possibly putting too much discreet information into it which could create a monster of a job to maintain. The catalog should be describing services as the customers see them.

Happy to share an example or two if needed.

I would be greatly surprised if you come across an actual case model. IT is so mismanaged in general that almost no one keeps stats on the before picture. In fact, most stats were probably not in place in the first place. I recommend an approach for implementation that identifies key performance metrics at the start of the implementation so you can compare at the end, but not sure if many companies do this. Even the ones I personally work with, many of the stats end up TBD because the metrics can't yet be collected or determined until ITSM gets put into place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Service Catalogue resources Reply with quote

I agree with Randy, creating a Service Catalogue doesn't have to be a daunting task. Many organizations have already gone down this path, and there are certainly lessons to be learned - no need to reinvent the wheel. Here are a few examples & resources that I've come across, including some in Education, that may be helpful:

- Merrill Lynch example cio.com/ritlab/lynch.ppt [posted in a CIO magazine feature on 'Running IT Like a Business' cio.com/ritlab/ ]

- University of Kansas example ku.edu/~hvc2/catalog/index.shtml [there is also a great powerpoint with an outline on Service Catalogs from the folks at University of Kansas at ku.edu/~psmo/docs/ServiceCatalog.ppt ]

- University of Queensland (Australia) example its.uq.edu.au/

- Background on a service catalog initiative at the University of California, Santa Cruz its.ucsc.edu/transformation/services_catalog.php

And for the thought leaders perspective, here are some resources:

- IBM interview referencing the importance of the service catalog www-1.ibm.com/services/ondemand/business/it_management.html#additional

- A detailed IBM white paper which includes a discussion of service portfolio management www-1.ibm.com/services/us/its/pdf/managing_it_services_white_paper.pdf

- An write-up from META Group in CIO magazine cio.com/analyst/report1496.html

- McKinsey article on managing demand & supply with a service catalog approach mckinseyquarterly.com/article_page.aspx?ar=1575&L2=13

I've also found a lot of excellent information on the newScale site, they seem to know more about creating a service catalog than anyone else out there - and they have dozens of case studies & other resources. In particular, take a look at some of their ITIL webinar replays at newscale.com/news/events.html#july2605

Best of luck!

Regards,
Matt Carrington
bknipfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Who knows the cost of maintaining a Service Catalog Reply with quote

Seems the newScale approach means lots of maintenance. Who can speak to the real cost of maintaining the Service Catalog solution?

Brent Knipfer
bknipfer@dtnspeed.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: