Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: KBAZ
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 146106

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 4
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Is self study for the foundations exams realistic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is self study for the foundations exams realistic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walterbyrd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Is self study for the foundations exams realistic? Reply with quote

I have several CompTIA certification. I got them all though self study. For me, it's always been the most effective way to study.

I can not find any books geared specifically towards the exam. This title seems to be about the closest I could find:

IT Service Management: An Introduction
by Jan Van Bon, George Kemmerling, Dick Pondman

I were to study that, would I have a realistic chance of passing the foundations exam? I don't think I would try to go beyond the foundations exam with just that book.

Any thought?
ITILmac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's possible.. but is it the easiest way? With online courses around for a couple of hundred dollars which are geared specifically, surely you'd find that to be a much easier way?

In terms of materials though, I guess you have the ITIL books themselves and perhaps the ITIL Toolkit? I'd certainly expect you to have looked through the actual volumes if i was an examination body.
mcardinal
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can easily study for the exams using the ITIL books and others available. However, participating in class (especially one with people from other companies) can provide valuable insight to the benefits and challenges of implementing Service Management. That is why at the Manager's level you must take it in class setting. your class participation is part of your grade.

Michael
Roger
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Self study Reply with quote

McArdinal is correct in stating that most "learning" will come from participating in a classroom course, where students from other organizations are in attendance.

BUT are you looking for "learning" or are you looking for a way to pass the ITIL Foundation certificate?

It's a cold harsh fact - a lot of people simply need to get the certificate and don't need the extra benefits of listening to others viewpoints, experiences in the classroom.

It's a personal choice - the ITIL Foundation exam is the only exam you can do, without attending a classroom course. So, if you are funding your own progress - then I'd be looking at self study (and the text IT Service Management or the ITIL Tookit) are excellent ways to do this... next step up could be an accredited online Foundation program.... the ultimate is the classroom program.

(note: if you select an online ITIL Foundation program make sure you select a vendor that has an accredited program).
mkhanbashi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can do. I friend of mine just passed the exam based on online self-study just few days before attending the ITSM course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: