Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MBrendel
New Today: 51
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 142026

People Online:
Visitors: 72
Members: 1
Total: 73 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Need consultant and application to create service catalog
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need consultant and application to create service catalog

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Need consultant and application to create service catalog Reply with quote

I work for an organization which is considering implementing ITIL. We have over 1200 users on 5 separate LANs/WANs with around 200 IT project and support staff, we use many advanced applications, with an ever-increasing need to share data in better ways. Our department head wants to begin implementing ITIL by creating an IT service catalogue. We are considering bringing in an outside consultant for a few months and teaming him/her with our on-site ITIL foundation certified technical writer and process person (me).

One, is this the best place to begin (or as good as any)? Two, what would be your rough estimate for how much something like this would/should cost us? It would involve work in the UK.

We are also looking for an enterprise application product for the services catalog with installation, implementation, and knowledge transfer as part of the solution. We also want to house it on our own server, as opposed to being hosted with an online vendor.
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a reputable consulting firm on board form day one is an excellent idea.

There are some 'Service Catalogue Applications' but none I know of are what you might call stand alone - they are usually (expensive) value-add applications for existing toolsets which cover most of the ITSM process.

Try and gwt your department head to get you trained to practitioner level in Service Level Management - if you are going to focus on a Catalogue of Services.
JCD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any suggestions on ITIL reputable consuling firms in the UK?.

Also, what are some of the 'Service Catalogue Applications' the you would recommend?
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm in OZ - and I don't know the UK industry very well.

Also I would not recommend any 'Service Catalogue' applications because I don't know of any stand-alone ones - only those that are part of much larger systems (talking $150+ minimum).

And the toolsets that I know include Catalogue functionality charge extra on top of the dollars I mentioned above, and could not be recommended (or otherwise) for your requirements. Again - sorry.
iancharlesworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the $10 Million question ... good consultants !

I've used FOX IT who have no tool set to sell as such .. Also Marval (software) who have delivered some very good consultancy to me but we were implementing their toolset at the time.

Other big orgs. are PINK and Capita

Like the post above, I don't think you'll find a stand alone app for a service catalogue. If not part of a bigger tool then use standard MS tools and sharepoint .. I've done that a number of times.

Hope this helps

Ian
cabal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCD,

The definition of the Service Catalog is a good starting point.

To implement the catalog solely you might not need any sophisticated tool. Some companies live quite happily with Excel spreadsheets, specially during the transition to ITIL. At the end of the day the SC defines which services are provided and who uses them.

Best practice is to integrate the SC into the CMDB, and also to map the IT Infrastructure to the Services delivered. For that you probably need to look seriously into a CMDB tool.

You might also want to consider a Service Level Management tool, to handle the entire SLA (and OLA) lifecycle.

Carlos Baladron

[Edited: Reason for edit - removal of advertising URL in message or sig]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: