Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PHudspeth
New Today: 3
New Yesterday: 114
Overall: 144051

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 3
Total: 60 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL and business risk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL and business risk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tansteven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: ITIL and business risk Reply with quote

I am doing a research on how ITIL can reduce business risk related to IT services. I have read quite a few literature on both ITIL and risk and I cannot find any evidence to prove the relationship between ITIL and risk. There are of course theories made, but no substantial evidence to prove the theories.

Has anyone come across any article or paper on the relationship between ITIL and business risk?
itilimp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've not come across any papers myself. You may want to dig through past conference papers of the itSMF.

I think it's fair to say that any process methodology (ITIL included) will help reduce/mitigate risk because they force a level of control over changes and forethought of what may go wrong, backout plans etc. where previously there may have been none.

In terms of ITIL I think that Change, Release, and Service Continuity are the main processes that will indeed reduce/mitigate risk.

If I come across anything that backs up my personal view (or otherwise) I'll let you know.
snatchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Risky Business Reply with quote

Risk management and Risk Analysis make up a significant part of the Availability Management function.

It comprises of 2 component parts -

Risk Analysis - Identification and Assesment (Threats, Assets, Vunerabilities)

Risk Management - Identifying and using countermeasures to assist in reducing risks to a manageable (acceptable) level.

ITSCM also bases it's recomendations upon risk analysis carried out both by the Business in order to identify the VBF (Vital business Functions) and by ITSCM during the second stage of ITSCM implementation (Requirements and Strategy)

ITSCM essentially uses the as availability (Analysis and Management) but for some reason calls it Requirements and strategy instead.

Use the ITIL Risk assesment model and the Risk Measurement Table for visual representations of Vunerabilities and risks.

And remember Risk and Vunerability assesments should be an iterative process, as the business grows (or shrinks) risk assesments should be carried out to cater for the ever changing business requirements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: