Service Transition in an Agile Environment

Discussion of any ITIL or related issues that don't fit well into any of the above.
mnsmith
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:59 am

Hello

The application development team in our organsition has started to move towards using an agile approach. The first few versions of new applications have now been delivered and have been subjected to our Service Transition process to get them into live. It's now clear to see that the Service Transition works well with a big bang approach but too clumbersome for an agile approach.

What I think we need is an agile service transition process, which develops things like SLAs over time, rather than forcing them to be fully agreed before the first version (normally a small scale pilot) goes live.

Does anyone have any experience in transitioning agile applications and if so can you share your experience? Also, can you recommend any books or training courses which might be useful?

Thanks

Mick

Mick Smith
Change, Configuration and Release Manager
Finton

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Mike

I have just posted a very similar post in the Service Delivery section on this forum (I wasn't exactly sure where I should post to be honest!).

We are now using an agile approach to deliver new apps/functionality/processes etc and I too am really struggling with a cumbersome Service Acceptance processes that just about worked for a waterfall delivery approach...add to this a CTO who wants things delivered (and working) yesterday and its all falling apart at the seams at the moment :cry:

I have not been able to find any books/white papers/training courses on Service transition/acceptance for Agile delivery. There is endless material on 'doing' agile delivery out there but nothing on how to transition these deliveries into BAU support upon implementation.

If I find anything out of any use I shall be sure to share it.....
ITIL Managers V2 Certified
PRINCE2 Practitioner Certified
cyber_aman
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 am

Guys,

Did you find any guideline on delivery & service acceptance in Agile environment ?
BorisBear
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 am

For me this is really quite simple......there is a level of service that is required by the customer and you take an agile approach to achieving that level with a flightpath starting at what the customer can live with progressing to the level of service they ultimately need. Define these start and end points and you have your answer and something to aim for.

Too often people think that 'agile' means you can forget about service levels and acceptance criteria but you can't and there has to be some science to it rather than a 'see how it turns out' approach.
Sashi

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 am

Team, Please share if you have developed any methodology around this.