New to ITIL and need some advice.....

Discussion of any ITIL or related issues that don't fit well into any of the above.
TYPHOON38

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Hello everyone,

moderators, please move this post if it is not in the correct forum. I am very new to ITIL but have to come up with a 10 minute presentation on how I would implement ITIL into an ICT helpdesk as part of an interview for a new position . Obviously I am reading up as much as I can and trying to at least understand ITIL and it's main functions / principles, but if anyone could point me in the direction of further information that might help me, I would be very grateful !

Thanks and regards,

Dave :oops:

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:35 pm

I shouldn't help because it may be the same job I've applied for.

But here goes.

You cannot implement ITIL into anything because it is only guidance.

And even if we allow the gross lack of understanding implicit in the question and assume it has some meaning, you cannot "implement" ITIL into a help desk because it is much much broader than that. And on that front it is a good thing they did not specify v3 because its strategic components are way above any help desk management system.

Thirdly, if they already have a help desk ("into an ICT helpdesk"), you wouldn't be implementing anything anyway, but rather you would be introducing improvements in the way it is managed and, perhaps, to what it does.

I would suggest your best source of good advise on ITIL is this forum and, in your case right now, especially the section entitled The ITIL Service Desk. You could also sign up for some ITIL groups on LinkedIn.

I'm saying nothing more until I'm sure you are not applying for the same post as me.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TYPHOON38

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:06 am

Diarmid,

thanks for the reply and advice. Unless the post you are applying for is in Wales, it isn't the same as mine..does that help ?

To be honest, even with a very limited knowledge of ITIL, the title for the requested presentation did seem a bit confusing and strange.

Rather than muddle through and cobble something together I think I will get back in touch with the prospective employers and ask them to clarify.

Thanks for the advice though,

Dave
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:16 am

We are at war. :twisted:

I withdraw all advise. :twisted: :twisted:

I should have known it was a mistake to post after a hard day's work on the census with my brain fried by the unseasonal summer heat.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TYPHOON38

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am

Oops ! Sorry you feel that way.....I wouldn't be too concerned, you obviously have in depth knowledge of and I would imagine a formal qualification in ITIL where as my question on this forum gives away how little knowledge I have. Fill your boots, I am just going through with it for the experience, anything more is a bonus. Enjoy. :roll:
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Dave,

don't take me so seriously please. I only ever use smilies for humour.
William Penn 1644-1718