Service Delivery Manager Route

Discussion of any ITIL or related issues that don't fit well into any of the above.
Doberman1979
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 am

Calling all SDM's!

I am just wondering what route you took into that position please? I am in title a helpdesk manager but in practice its nothing more than a log it and flog it set up, as such I am ready to move on and am leaning towards Service Delivery but am not sure of the best route in...Any advise or details of self study/books/course that you found benefited or helped you would be really good!

Regards Simon

abu1
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 am

Depends some come SDM's are completely IT illiterate.. They come from a managment role like accounts manager etc.

but for you best route is to ge ta jobe as a service delivery lead / site lead. which means you look after a site. then you can apply for SDM roles looking after more sites/contracts..
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:12 am

Try to get experience in some of the management of the major areas within service delivery management.

If you are already at a mangerial level iwithin service management, then the study/books/courses should already be less important. Although many firms advertizing put a lot of emphasis on ITIL qualifications, they mostly specify foundation level, which is really a mere gesture for management level roles. The areas worth a look are any that you feel uninformed about.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Doberman1979
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 am

Cheers folks. Time to get onto Amazon and have a mooch at a couple of books in that case!