Does the ITIL require (or address) "soft skills"?

Discussion of any ITIL or related issues that don't fit well into any of the above.
Corde Wagner
Itiler
Itiler

Does the ITIL require (or address) "soft skills"?

Post by Corde Wagner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Someone recently asked me if the ITIL requires "soft skills", and while I emphatically said "yes" but without giving away why I think it does, what do you think? Are soft skills required in IT Service Management (hint)?

Corde Wagner
ITIL v3 Expert - ITILv4 - CASM - VeriSM-Plus

lcaputo
Itiler
Itiler

Re: Does the ITIL require (or address) "soft skills"?

Post by lcaputo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 am

Hi :)

as far as my job experience is developing, I can tell for sure that soft skills are required almost in any kind of job (that is, of course, if you want to have success).

For the addressing part, all I can say is that it's something that is not part of ITIL4 Foundation, and I think this is because of my previous sentence --> Soft skills are something that is needed across all professions and thus there is no need to include those things in an IT specific course.

Hope I've answered your question(s)

tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Post by tedderpd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am

I would respectfully disagree with one aspect of the previous post - "it is not part of ITIL 4 Foundation". Actually, soft skills are part of ITIL 4 Foundation -- have a look at the Guiding Principles. Here are a few examples of where "soft skills" are needed and used:

- "Collaborate and promote visibility" - The ability to work in a constructive manner with others is a paramount soft skill in this principle.
- "Progress iteratively with feedback" - The ability to receive and deliver feedback is a soft skill that is critical to success.
- "Focus on value" - This principle encompasses many perspectives, from the customer to the supplier to the user to the organization. Negotiation, good communication, empathy, and other soft skills needed here.
- "Keep it simple and practical" - Being respectful of others, negotiation, managing conflict, and good communication are critical soft skills required in this principle.

Is ITIL 4 a guide on specific "soft skills"? No, that is not the intent of ITIL 4. However, the need for and use of soft skills are clearly articulated in ITIL 4 Foundation.

lcaputo
Itiler
Itiler

Post by lcaputo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am

tedderpd wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am
Is ITIL 4 a guide on specific "soft skills"? No, that is not the intent of ITIL 4. However, the need for and use of soft skills are clearly articulated in ITIL 4 Foundation.
That was actually my point of view :) All I wanted to point out is that ITIL 4 does not talk specifically about soft skills, neither it says esplicitely anything about using soft skills while applying the methodology.
As in any job you could have, soft skills are a huge boost to succeed.