Problem Management Implementation

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
Nean12

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a large task ahead of me. I have to implement problem management within my organization. What is the best way to go about this implementation? note we already have a service desk and incident/major incident management in place.

tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Great question!

Problem Management is a practice that is often under-estimated and under-resourced, yet - if done well - can provide great benefits. Some ideas to help get you off to the right start:

First - problem management is not the job of a single person. It truly takes a village to do problem management well.

Develop a policy - and have senior managers sign off. Why is problem management important, what are the benefits, what are the consequences of not doing it, and who owns problem management are all topics that should be included in the policy. You will pull resources from across the organization to work on a problem.

Define the criteria of a problem - You must define what a "problem" means for your organization. Not all incidents constitute a problem, nor does just accumulating a set number of related incidents means that you must start problem management. Remember, you will pull resources from across the organization to work on a problem.

Identify and get good at a few problem management techniques - whether that's DMAIC, Kepner-Tregoe, brainstorming, etc.....

Communication/Awareness/Training - Effective problem management relies on the entire organization understanding the purpose, goals, and objectives of problem management.

Identify measures/metrics - how will you know if problem management is working for your organization? You can't manage what you don't measure.

Try it and continually improve - perhaps the most important aspect of any ITSM initiative. Go at problem management with a continual improvement mindset - you may very well find that you may need to adjust your incident/major incident (as well as other) procedures.

Hope this helps!
lcaputo
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:45 am

Hello :)

From my experience in an Italian public entity, I can tell that Problem Management really is something that needs a certaing grade of maturity from the IT department, and a solid committment from the business.
Often problem tickets are forgotten because the Service Desk / Incident teams tend to focus on solving incidents that are felt more like pressing issues than a problem.

There the internal responsible did a weekly ping on the Problem Analysis team (inside the ITSM platform) and ask them to update the ticket with any new info they had, otherwise he asked them to do further research on the theme.

A concrete advice would be to first consolidate the Indicent and Service Request practices and then follow it up with defining a Problem policy, a solving team with some defined work time dedicated to do the job, and an internal responsible that will monitor each ticket on a weekly/monthly basis.
Nean12

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you for I really appreciate it.