Downtime to implement change

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
Saima

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Please can someone guide me who is responsible to agree downtime with business is that change management or IT engineer raising the change request?

tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am

Well, what you've described is typically how I've seen it done and how I advise my clients to do it. It is the Change Owner (whoever is responsible for the design, build, test, and implementation of the change - from what you've described, this would the IT Engineer) should agree with the business owner (customer) for the downtime needed to implement the change.

No one knows the specifics and particulars of the change better than the Change Owner. It is the Change Owner who has planned, designed, built, and tested a change based upon the requirements provided by the Customer. As part of change implementation planning, It is only reasonable that the Change Owner would discuss and agree what downtime may be needed with the Customer to implement the change.

The Change Owner should then work with Service Level Management, Business Relationship Management, and the Service Desk to ensure that the downtime has been appropriately communicated.