Standard Changes

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
rlmx

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Service Transition 4.2.4.5 Standard Changes ... "Budgetary approval will typically be preordained or within the control of the change requester." What is the spirit of the text? The reason that I ask: we have situations where team X is asking team Y to complete Standard Changes. It seems to me that the spirit is to ensure that Standard changes are isolated to a single team from request to approval to completion. On the other hand "typically" leaves the door wide open.

Please - I am not looking for any answers from any trolls that want to supply smart-a$$ feedback stating that we should do what is good for our organization. I am not asking for the letter of the law - just the spirit of the text.

asrilrm
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi,

I think you should extend the quote to include the next paragraphs of the Chapter:
"Standard changes should be identified early on when building the Change
Management process to promote efficiency. Otherwise, a Change Management implementation can create unnecessarily high levels of administration and resistance to the Change Management process."

In my company, a normal change that has been carried out that fits certain criteria would become a standard change next it occurs. Bug fix RFCs are also classified as standard change as well.

I think in order to speed up the approval of the RFCs, budget matter is a pre-requisite to be resolved prior raising RFC, and not to be evaluated in the Change Management Process.

Cheers,
Asril
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 am

RMLX

The ITIL books are not a bible or an exacting guide on how to implement ITIL in your organization. You should not implement ITIL based solely on what is written in the books

You have to be pragmatic as well

My first question - smart arse - primarily - would be

what does your change mgmt policy say
the next would be what does the process say
the next would be what does the procedures says

That said, standard changes should be those changes that have low risk, repeatable and well understood details

things like
install new PC
change password (irritating but some call this a change)
monthly automatic windows desktop virus patching
install / uninstall software on desktops / pcs / etc

There is nothing in ITIL that says ... only 1 group should the work nor is there anything that says more than 1 group can do the work

IT depends.

How is your helpdesk (user support) defined ?
Is the HD one giant team or is there an app side or a wnitel side etc or a h/w side
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Fabien
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Agree with John + IMO if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck... chances are... it's a duck. When team X requests changes to be performed by Team Y, isn't Team Y clearly delivering a service to Team X?

From your post I sense tension between team X & Y. If I were team Y, I would invite team X for tea, sit down with a pen and a piece of paper, and write up some requirements, offer some guarantees of service and then stamp the piece of paper with the letters OLA.... and you just turned into an SLM... cool huh?

Just my 2 cents...
BR,
Fabien Papleux

Accenture
Technology Consulting | Service Excellence
Red Badge Certified

Twitter @itilgeek