When does the chargeback of service desk start?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
tmack
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:20 pm

In terms of service economics of the service desk, where do you see "chargeable" value in the Automated Call Director (ACD) process?

For example when someone in the beginning stages of their phone in experience hears their is a widespread IT outage. Then they decide to just hang up.

Do you bill for the time it takes to manage outage "message" and if so, how? "Per call" in hearing that message or a "flat rate" for the month?

thechosenone69
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:38 am

Tmack,

Usually, ACD helps to lower down the volume of calls to your Service Desk and also to direct callers who have no need to talk to a specific person but who require assistance from any of multiple persons. With the example you gave you made it sound like a dead end, there should be many other solutions. ACD doesn't work by itself, just to call and leave a message thats very unreliable. For example im the type of person who hates to leave a voice-mail, I would keep on calling over and over again untill someone answers for example.

Consider Monitoring tools to measure the downtime if you are having an outage. Assuming from your example that you are having a Virtual Service desk with ACD tool, the option to speak to an Engineer should still be available in-case of high priority calls and that can be charged for. For example calling Microsoft for support: its answered by ACD and then charged for the call when the call is tranfered to an Engineer. I dont know what type of ACD system you are using but you can start charging per call after Acknowledgment has been sent incase users left a message, and you should respond/fix within agreed service levels afterwards.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 am

tmack

Who are you billing ?

If your company provides me a service, I expect a low cost (toll free) number to contact the service desk to complain, initiate incidents, etc.

If I call and get a 'Hi... the service -- is down -- we are working on it' . and that is my issue. I would hang up and call back later for an update

If I as the user / customer get a bill for calling you about the lack of service, the next thing would be most likely lawyers and breach of contract discussion and termination of the contract - especially if you are trying to bill me for something I already pay for.

Change back and accounting for services is usually an intenal accounting methodology to help determine how much time and money by IT is spent on specific departments's issues.
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
tolman101
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 am

tmack,

Work out the costs of providing your service and then look at how you will cover those costs. Talk to your customer and come to agreement. Don't over-complicate matters.