Increase Availability by decreasing the length of downtimes

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 am

Hi im working on a graduation thesis for my university...Therefor i needed to look for an organisation to do a thesis for.

I need to increase the availability of the services because they dont meet the required levels of the business and the higher management..They want me to look into the downtimes. They think it takes to long to solve incidents which affects availability. The organisation is quite big worldwide and my section has around 400 empoyees. they are new to ITIL and implementing some parts of the service support set slowly. They have implemented a servicedesk, incidentmanagement and slowly are implementing problem and changemanagement at the moment. The servicedesk is working with hp openview servicedesk tool.

My teacher told me i had to use (mainly) availability management in my thesis. But that would not be enough so i needed to use incident-,problem and in a limited degree Capacacity Management.

My question is..Where do i start?

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:52 am

Graduate thesis in what ?

If you have NO CLUE how to start your thesis, then what ever Graduate program you are on has the same worth as altitude gauge on a submarine

Seriously

Do you want the members of this forum to write your thesis for you ?

Go to your professor and ask this question
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:33 am

No... i know where to start i even made a plan how to do it and my teacher told me it was a good approach. But i want some input from your side. The thing is that i need to know if im doing the right thing. Ofcourse you are not gonna do the thesis for me. I just wanna know if im doing something completly wrong. I wanted to start by analysing the incident proces and from there the slm proces. My approach is global but i would like to know your idea.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 am

sambir

What do you think this site is for ?

Why did you not write your follow up explanation first when you posted what you are planning ?

Now that you explained/shown/described your plan

It is a good start for what you are doing but

What I would recommend first.. is go through the Service desk, problem and change mgmt threads in the forum

then look at the ones under service delivery

look at the ones that talk about issues / incidents / process following
then come back and see if that provided you any updates to your plan

HINT: It should but .. you must walk the walk to find out
John Hardesty

sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:55 am

Yes i am. But i'm confused because the organisation is very big and i need some guidelines, just a push. Ofcourse am i looking for different resources like books and intern info. It's not like this is the first place i entered to look for info. The books give info about methods i can use to optimize availability but because i need to decrease the downtime availabilty management confused my taughts. av.ma is focused on optimizing the uptime aswell. But the organisation doesn't want me to do that.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 pm

my first question to you samir is

how knowledgable are you about ITIL

from what I am reading -you have a very shallow knowledge of ITIL

especially the concept of availability management

considering you are writing a thesis on availability and how to improve uptime / reduce down time

From the ITIL books, this I think is summed up in a few paragraphs but I dont think it is in availability mgmt by itself
John Hardesty

Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:41 pm

I too wonder why you are writing a thesis on the subject you have little understanding of, but to answer your question you start with the process that they've got in place - incident, change, etc... Understand how they work, how they contribute to availability and I suppose propose some recommendations.

I am not sure what more would you like us to say here.
sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Well,

I am ITIL certified i did the exin test 3 years ago. But i need to refresh my mind and learn the theory again. I have figured out where to start im going to discuss it with my supervisor tomorrow. I will analyse the current state of the organisation and i will need to know how openview works to generatie some reports and see the incident and problem proces. I need to start somewhere so.. But i am keeping an eye on this forum because it has usefull information that i could need.
sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:56 pm

Timo wrote:I too wonder why you are writing a thesis on the subject you have little understanding of, but to answer your question you start with the process that they've got in place - incident, change, etc... Understand how they work, how they contribute to availability and I suppose propose some recommendations.

I am not sure what more would you like us to say here.
I know how the proces works and i tought it was not the availability management i primarly needed but when my teacher told me i was wrong i went here to ask.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Sambir

You, I gather received a foundation certificate in ITIL 3 years ago

What have you been doing (besides grad school) in regards to IT. let alone ITIL.

The foundation exam just gives you the basics

It is like learning the alphabet or how to add/subtract for numbers

It is the basics

The major active users here hold the Manager's Certificate and / or have years of experince implementing Service Management using ITIL Best practices - and other processes.

The Manager's course for the certification is 80 hours and 2 3 hour exams

So those who do have it and those who have the experience as well are here

And if you plan to use any of the forum's posts etc - information.. you need first to ask permission of the admin / and of course cite the forum in your disseration /

But I can tell you right now your thesis paper will be about 10 page - even if single sided and double space based on the way you are looking to do it

Timo is giving you good hints .. but we are not your professors - 1) not being paid and 2) you have professors

You need to go to your professor / grad co-ordinator and talk about your thesis

I think it is weak
John Hardesty

sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Hehe you take this so serious i have over 5 months to do my thesis. Why do you think they give me this period of time? To do experience and learn so i can work on my thesis and make something off it. This is my third week here and im trieng to figure out how to start my project... and you criticize it allready you have no clue what its going to look like. Im just a student and learning from professionals in this organisation. My thesis is not all about availability management its about the problem the organisation is in and i'm gonna help them out using ITIL as a solution to their problems.

Ofcourse i just know the basics of ITIL but that's exactly what i need nothing more i just was asking if i was going the right way. You know what i guess i'll just look around for some answers instead of posting threads :P
MBU
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Sambir,
either you CAN'T understand the very good hints from the community or you don't WANT to understand them.
Good luck for the next 5 months, that's my advise.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again."

Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
Michael B.

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
sambir
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:02 pm

I think there was a miscommunication right from the start i don't need anyone to do the thesis for me i just wanted some guidelines i will follow some threads on this forum and other ones every bit helps.. Thanks for your advice guys..
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:03 pm

omg some post grad student who has done ITIL foundations 3 years ago is going to teach us how to suck eggs.

I am doing post grad study at the moment, but not full time. I work full time.

The best studies I have seen have been done by people who have gone and lived in the bowels of the oprganisations they have researched.

Go and do that.

Ask questions. Not of us, but of people in the organisation you are researching. But before you ask, observe, so that you are asking useful questions. Get a cross section of people in the organisation.

As well as asking them questions, ask yourself.

If you are going to base your work on ITIL, might I most humbly suggest that you acquire the ITIL Books? All of them. You will need more than your course notes. Trust me on this. Ask your university to get them for you, even if you have to pay for them. Accredited training organisations buy them at a greatly discounted price, I believe (please conform this as I could be wrong)

Find out what the road blocks are in the organisations. I could go on but I have other things to do.

I could go on, but maybe I am teaching you to suck eggs now. You are a grad student. You should know all this stuff.
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:13 am

Oh dear! I think it is becoming a habit to flame every poor soul that asks a question - I know some deserve it, but let's not make it a kneejerk reaction. I would advise our questioner to look at the V2 Service DElivery book chapter on Availability, and, to a lesser extent, the V3 equivalent.
The various techniques explained (Especially that on Reduced Incident Lifecycle) there will give a good starting point. Remember, one of the problems with V3 Foundation, is that it does not cover topics like this in anything other than a cursory way.

So read that chapter, then come back with specific requests for advice/guidance.
And everyone else - CHILL, it is Friday after all!
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance