Process Maturity Assessment Templates

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
OhioScott
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 am

Does anyone have a template that they would be willing to share or can recommend a template for assessing the organization's maturity relative to particular processes?

I'm familiary with the maturity model and I've used current state assessments but they were proprietary in nature and I can't get the other company's permission to use it understandably. I was hoping someone had one they wouldn't mind my using with my current employer.

Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 am

OGC used to have a generic one available, but it is (was) pretty basic. Like you said, most of them are propitiatory, so I'd be surprised if anybody who invested time and money in either developing or purchasing one would be willing to share.
OhioScott
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:26 pm

I appreciate the response and agree with your assessment. Maybe I'll get lucky?!? :D
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:45 pm

I found one on the web last year, but looked for it recently and couldn't find it.

I have created a maturity assessment survey as part of my Uni course, for 3 functions - Change Management, Service Asset and Configuration Management and Release and Deployment Management.

Yes, you can do ITIL as a post grad Uni subject.

While it is for the course, I am also using it at work, hopefully very productively.

It is very simple, and for each function there are only 3 or 4 questions. You can go into much more detail, but then people probably wouldn't want to do your survey.

I could send it to you, but that is counter to my philosophy of helping people to help themselves, so what I suggest is that you do what I did and make your own, based on goals, objectives etc for these functions as described in the Service Transition book.

It really is not rocket science, will not take you very long, and the exercise will give you the opportunity to think about your organisations in terms of Service Management.

Have fun 8)
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
TomOzITIL_2
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:27 pm

COBIT 4.1 has some free stuff.
The ITIL books have a little bit in them.

That aside - get your work to pay for maturity assessments & methods.

Or go to

itskeptic dot org

this guy has pretty good links to lots of free or cheap ITIL stuff, plus an entertaining ITSM oriented blog.
MBU
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:17 am

Go to www dot nehfort dot at
You can download a demoversion of an ISO 20k assessment tool with a demodatabase. This get's you an idea how to do it. Please google/bing also for ISO 15504. Furthermore the CRP Henri Tudor in Luxembourg has established an assessment methodology called "AIDA"...
Michael B.

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
MBU
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Update: It's called TIPA not AIDA ... hope this helps