KPIs vs Metrics

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Gav
Itiler
Itiler

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi everyone, can I get concensus on the following text I want to use in my doco?

Thanks

A metric is any standard of measurement - number of incidents logged, average time to log an incident, percentage of incidents resolved within agreed timeframes etc. Metrics can also contain target measurements such as Incident handoff to resolver groups within 10 mins – these are all valid metrics.

KPIs and Metrics are often confused because KPIs are also metrics. However KPIs are specifically chosen metrics that best measure performance. So the difference is only in its purpose.

An organisation may have many metrics, but should only have a few KPIs.

tolman101
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Gav,

Concensus from who? People on this forum or people within your organisation?

What is your document and its purpose?

It sounds like all of your metrics are aimed at figuring out the performance of the process which would make them KPI's.

Just measure what you think is important for restoring services asap and don't get caught up in the semantics discussion.
asrilrm
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi,

My understanding is that KPIs are derivatives of metrics.
For example, Change Success Rate (a KPI) is derived from number of a changes successfully implemented (a metric).
Please refer to the ITIL Library

Cheers,
Asril
SwissTony
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 am

A metric is merely something that is measured & reported. Therefore a KPI is also a metric, just given a specific name, same as CSF.

:)
Gav
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 pm

OK thanks.

Yeh my document is process definition related, so I am trying to resolve the concept and as it has always been a grey area for me, I just wanted some opinions from the community on what I thought KPIs and Metrics meant to each other.

I think i can move forward with these thoughts though. Thanks again.