OLA Template

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
joedup

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

Hi

I have been tasked with setting up an OLA between 2 of our departments and as I am new to this have no idea where to start?

Does anyone have an OLA Template that I can work from? I understand the principles that need to be covered in such a document but would like to see a template that I can amend to suit my requirements.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm

The two departments have to set up the agreement between themselves. Do you

A) belong to one of the departments? then you may be part of the negotiating group either stating requirements (if your's is the "customer" department) or offering deliverable levels of service (if your's is the service department).

B) have a quality management or management advisory role effectively outwith the two departments? - then you help them by designing a document (or template for a document) that identifies the services required, including commitments to delivery and maintenance and future modifications to these services; the scope and limitations on those services; the resources allowed for in any "contract" pertaining to those services; the arrangements for monitoring and reviewing the services; the contingency arrangements for service failure; ... but it is all just what you need for any formal agreement. Probably the most important point is to establish just how formal it is.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
joedup

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:59 am

Thank you Diarmid

Basically the scenario is as follows:

I work for a company the develops software, and I am the Customer Service Manager and manage the Support Centre which is the client facing side that deal with support related queries.

I would like to setup the OLA between the Support side and our Development team so that I can attach measurable timings to new development releases so that we have a formal agreement of when development needs to be completed based on the Priority of the call.

E.g. High Development requests need to be completed within 48 hrs etc.

I understand what needs to go in to the OLA, but was wondering if there is a template available so that I can see how other professionals have documented it and what the layout is?

Thank you
TomOzITIL_2
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Appendix F of the ITIL v3 Service Design book has sample SLA and OLA templates.

It aint perfect but is a start.

ie: RTFM.