Is Change Management related to Release Management?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
maximus
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:06 am

Hey guys,

Can anyone suggest how Change Management is related with Release Management?

Regards,
Steve

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:14 am

Steve,

How you looked at what ITIL is - either at the Official site or even using WikiPedia

Seek your answer there and come back
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 am

Do you have a specific reason for your question? something that we may be able to comment on?

As John says the theoretical or abstract relationship is documented in ITIL texts.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Bella
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 am

Based on the search that i have done, my understanding is both Change management and Release management go together.

Change management encompasses all changes in technology, systems, applications, hardware, tools, documentation, processes, as well as roles and responsibilities of people. A change could be anything from performing a server hardware upgrade, applying Exchange service packs, updating backup procedures, to simply adding a new user. Although change management takes a structured, phased approach, it should also be able to respond to urgent changes immediately, thus minimizing service interruption. In addition, it should be able to satisfy minor or standard changes with minimal administrative efforts.

However, change management without release management is virtually impossible in an enterprise simply due to the volume of changes involved. The goal of release management is to ensure that all changes are deployed successfully into the production IT environment in the least disruptive manner.

Release management makes the change management process more proactive and predictable. It groups a series of changes into a collection known as a release, which is based on defined common characteristics of the changes. In the case of Exchange server deployment, a release can be the building of a group of servers based on a defined set of roles. The single release of multiple servers with the same server build and a similar impact on the environment can be tracked easily with change management, thereby reducing management complexity.
Peter_78
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am

Hi Steve,

The Release Management process works by providing a consistent framework for defining and creating new services, and ensuring that the correct versions of tested and approved software are implemented on a day-to-day basis (that is, after initial rollout).

Release Management process interfaces with the Change Management process to enable implementation and to the Configuration Management process to maintain configuration records.

Cheers,
Peter
KenLuo
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:31 pm

It seems this forum has a lot of entry level questions which can actually be found in books.
Luo, Tian-Hong (Ken)
Regional Operation Lead

ITIL Expert Certified
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Ken

quite true.. which is why the GoGs like me get tired of the newbie questions and answer in small words - RTFM or such like or even be sarcastic tart and tactless (me)

I have query for you

ITIL Master .. I am quite sure that the ITIL Master programme (V3) which has been just released does not have any..

The ITIL Master during the V2 days is the ITIL Service Manager ie Red badge
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter