SCRUM and ITIL

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Bella
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 am

I am in desperate need of some guidance.
We currently use ITIL V3.0 for our Change Process. The tool we use is “supposed” to be built on ITIL principles but I do have some doubts. The company is young and I suspect, not as versed in ITIL as claimed.

Our PMO Team is struggling to help bridge some gaps in their areas. They are vetting out using the SCRUM process. It just so happens that the tool set we use does support SCRUM. My question is how does SCRUM fit into the ITIL Process?

SharonSmith
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 am

I am not a expert in this but i can ask my instructor from a training provider itilstudy where i took training form. he may have a answer to this
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:23 am

Scrum is an iterative and incremental agile software development framework for managing software projects and product or application development. Scrum focuses on project management institutions where it is difficult to plan ahead. Mechanisms of empirical process control, where feedback loops that constitute the core management technique are used as opposed to traditional command-and-control management.[citation needed] Its approach to planning and managing projects is by bringing decision-making authority to the level of operation properties and certainties.

The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) is a set of practices for IT service management (ITSM) that focuses on aligning IT services with the needs of business. In its current form (known as ITIL 2011 edition), ITIL is published in a series of five core publications, each of which covers an ITSM lifecycle stage. ITIL underpins ISO/IEC 20000 (previously BS15000), the International Service Management Standard for IT service management, although differences between the two frameworks do exist.

ITIL describes processes, procedures, tasks and checklists that are not organization-specific, used by an organization for establishing integration with the organization's strategy, delivering value and maintaining a minimum level of competency. It allows the organization to establish a baseline from which it can plan, implement, and measure. It is used to demonstrate compliance and to measure improvement.

SCRUM is for s/w development and project mgmt
ITIL is IT Service Management which empasses SCRUM, AGILE, PRINCE2 etc

IT Service Management should use ITIL better practices to get the overall processes in place.. If your org does s/w development then SCRUM or AGILE would feed into RM and CM
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
pauline68
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 am

Bella,

I read your question, and I would like to make sure about your exact need:

- Your PMO is considering adopting SCRUM for agile project management
- Your IT department is applying ITIL V3
- You are using a software tool that's both ITIL compliant and supporting SCRUM

The problem statement is how for the ITIL V3 Release and Change Management processes (which are used by your IT department) to interface or talk to the SCRUM method (which is used by your PMO)?

I saw a paper online( NO LINKS PLEASE ) on a similar topic, but related to PMBOK method not SCRUM. You may review it for a hint on how to map SCRUM to the ITIL processes you are concerned with.

I hope this helps,

--
Pauline

Admin: Post edited. No links please.
Bella
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:18 am

UKVIKING: Thank you for a very good explanation and highlighting how we can connect both .

Recently have take up SCRUM certification and now I can establish the fact that SCRUM is a part of agile methodology and used for project management.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 am

Bella

As I am now playing Release Management, I have to deal with the programmers (think 1000s of monkeys typign@keyboards)

I as the RM do not care how the solution - release or fix - is developed - SCRUM or AGILE. That is an internal Programming decision

Once the soluton is made, I care that it is tested and deployed to non production in accordance with my RM process / policies. that it is documents as such and once successfully tested follows the CM process to be done in production
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Caleb
Itiler
Itiler

Thu May 22, 2014 4:08 am

Basically it is that much Agile to be fit in a particular situation like you have asked,What i feel is something that works for the moment Scrum is designed in the way in which it can actually give that kind of outcome which is pretty good and at the same have all those elements.