Business implementing ITIL

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Feenux

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:22 pm

After a cursory search of the forum, I didn't find what I was looking for. I have two questions, being new to ITIL.

1) How long, on average, would it take a business to become certified in ITIL?
2) What would be the recommended implementation order if the business were to implement different ITIL sections one at a time?

Thank you all for your time! Feel free to correct me if I have any misunderstandings above

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:59 am

1 . never
2. in what ever order the business sees fit
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:44 am

Feel free to correct me if I have any misunderstandings above
There is no such thing as business certification of ITIL because ITIL is a body of good practice guidance and not a standard or a formal method.

Knowledge of ITIL helps you to make intelligent decisions about your IT infrastructure management practices and thus to implement good practice (not "implement ITIL"). What aspect you tackle first depends entirely on your assessment of what needs fixed or changed most urgently or importantly in respect of your current and impending business priorities.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Diarmid was verbose while I was terse
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
AmberaConsulting
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 am

1. May be you are referring to ISO20000 certification? ITIL is just set of good practice.

2. Firstly you should know what processes you need and there is no specific order, but better to have your service operation running smooth followed by transition which will help in some control and governance in BAU.